One in 13 tweets contains a swear word, according to a recent study.
The study found that the F-word is Twitter cussers' favorite, Twitter users swear more frequently on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and men use more expletives than women (though both men and women are more likely to swear in same-gender situations), reports Caitlin Dewey at The Washington Post.
The research also indicated that people use sailor-worthy language more often on Twitter than they would offline. Only 0.5 - 0.7 percent of words people say are swear words, but on Twitter people curse at a rate of 1.15 percent, according to the Business Insider.
Researchers at Wright State University in Ohio completed the study that The Washington Post describes as "full of unprintable words." The researchers analyzed 51 million English-language tweets from 14 million users, which they took from a random one-month tweet sample, and then compiled a curse list that included symbols like "@" and "$," according to Victoria Taylor at New York Daily News.
Some wonder why people use explicit language, along with other language that is not generally acceptable such as racial slurs, on Twitter in such great quantities.
Wenbo Wang, the study's lead author, has a theory.
“Because of social media, people don’t see each other," Wang told the Daily News. "They can say things they wouldn’t say in the physical world."
The Business Insider explains the results of this study will contribute to a larger research project concerning verbal abuse, online harassment, mental health, and gender dissimilarity in online communication.
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Gunfire at teen nightclub party leaves 2...
- Trump taunts claims that Russia hacked DNC...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 61
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31