Deseret News National Edition: Taking a look at the 'Father Factor' series, gambling and the 'Son of God'
On this week’s “Deseret News National Edition,” editors from The Atlantic and the Deseret News discuss the "Father Factor" series, the director of Stop Predatory Gambling explains the push to get government out of gambling, and Carole Mikita looks at the return of religious movies.
The state of contemporary American fatherhood is the subject of a new editorial collaboration between The Atlantic and the Deseret News. The series, which is now online, looks at the social, cultural and economic factors affecting family life. Mike Headrick discussed the series with Eleanor Barkhorn, senior editor at The Atlantic, Paul Edwards, editor of the Deseret News, and Lois Collins, writer for the Deseret News.
It is getting harder and harder for people at the bottom of the economic ladder to climb up.
One group believes if lawmakers want to get serious about improving upward mobility they need to remove government from the gambling business.
Deseret News reporter Eric Schulzke discussed this idea with Les Bernal, national director of Stop Predatory Gambling.
“Son of God” opened in theaters over the weekend and it’s getting plenty of buzz. Religion reporter Carole Mikita talked with producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett about an emerging trend in biblical topics in movies.
The "Deseret News National Edition" runs on KSL-TV at 9 a.m. on Sundays and highlights six areas of editorial emphasis: family, faith in the community, excellence in education, values in media and culture, causes related to helping the poor and financial responsibility.
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- After having a baby, dad's brain changes too
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes, but...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- Family of teenage girl with burns on 65...
- Utah company brings Disney characters to...
- Nonprofit intervention program in Arizona...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 16
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 7
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 6
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3