Deseret News National Edition: Taking a look at the 'Father Factor' series, gambling and the 'Son of God'
On this week’s “Deseret News National Edition,” editors from The Atlantic and the Deseret News discuss the "Father Factor" series, the director of Stop Predatory Gambling explains the push to get government out of gambling, and Carole Mikita looks at the return of religious movies.
The state of contemporary American fatherhood is the subject of a new editorial collaboration between The Atlantic and the Deseret News. The series, which is now online, looks at the social, cultural and economic factors affecting family life. Mike Headrick discussed the series with Eleanor Barkhorn, senior editor at The Atlantic, Paul Edwards, editor of the Deseret News, and Lois Collins, writer for the Deseret News.
It is getting harder and harder for people at the bottom of the economic ladder to climb up.
One group believes if lawmakers want to get serious about improving upward mobility they need to remove government from the gambling business.
Deseret News reporter Eric Schulzke discussed this idea with Les Bernal, national director of Stop Predatory Gambling.
“Son of God” opened in theaters over the weekend and it’s getting plenty of buzz. Religion reporter Carole Mikita talked with producers Roma Downey and Mark Burnett about an emerging trend in biblical topics in movies.
The "Deseret News National Edition" runs on KSL-TV at 9 a.m. on Sundays and highlights six areas of editorial emphasis: family, faith in the community, excellence in education, values in media and culture, causes related to helping the poor and financial responsibility.
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- The Clean Cut: New Zealand students perform...
- Neon Trees represent BYU, Fight the New Drug...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout Sione...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What defenders of...
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do...
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Tournaments...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 11
- We're doing youth soccer wrong:... 8
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do... 7
- Steve Eaton: Sundance the Talking Dog... 5
- Sherry Young: Steve Young and Jimmer... 3
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living... 2
- FamilySearch celebrates the pioneer in... 1
- Living — or dying —... 1