High school boys basketball: Defending champ Wasatch Academy cruises into 2A title game
RICHFIELD — It’s safe to say the Wasatch Academy Tigers are a heavy favorite to repeat as 2A state champions.
The Region 15 champs had another dismantling win at the 2A boys basketball tournament Friday night, this one a 63-27 victory over Cinderella-esque South Sevier at the Sevier Valley Center.
“At the beginning of the year, the kids set a goal,” Wasatch Academy coach Geno Morgan said. “We set a goal for the same (thing) it was last year — to win a state championship. That’s what we’ve been pushing for all year.”
The Tigers jumped out to a dominating start on both sides of the ball as they opened the game on an impressive 20-1 tear and shot the lights out.
The second quarter wasn’t much different, as the defending state champs opened up a 42-15 halftime lead.
Geno Luzcando had a spectacular first half, torching the Rams for 22 points on impressive 10-of-11 shooting to give the favored team a huge lead.
“I told him he needed to be ready to play, and he looked special tonight,” Morgan said. “We just rolled his back and he’s a senior so I expect that out of him, but that was a big-time game out of him. So hopefully he can bring that again (Saturday).”
South Sevier slowly started to find a rhythm in the second half, but the size and athleticism of Wasatch Academy was far too much for the Rams too handle.
The Tigers outscored the Rams 21-12 in the second half to secure the double-digit victory and a spot in the championship game Saturday night against Enterprise.
The Tigers and Wolves are set to tip off at 7 p.m. at the Sevier Valley Center.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35