High school boys basketball: Defending champ Wasatch Academy cruises into 2A title game
RICHFIELD — It’s safe to say the Wasatch Academy Tigers are a heavy favorite to repeat as 2A state champions.
The Region 15 champs had another dismantling win at the 2A boys basketball tournament Friday night, this one a 63-27 victory over Cinderella-esque South Sevier at the Sevier Valley Center.
“At the beginning of the year, the kids set a goal,” Wasatch Academy coach Geno Morgan said. “We set a goal for the same (thing) it was last year — to win a state championship. That’s what we’ve been pushing for all year.”
The Tigers jumped out to a dominating start on both sides of the ball as they opened the game on an impressive 20-1 tear and shot the lights out.
The second quarter wasn’t much different, as the defending state champs opened up a 42-15 halftime lead.
Geno Luzcando had a spectacular first half, torching the Rams for 22 points on impressive 10-of-11 shooting to give the favored team a huge lead.
“I told him he needed to be ready to play, and he looked special tonight,” Morgan said. “We just rolled his back and he’s a senior so I expect that out of him, but that was a big-time game out of him. So hopefully he can bring that again (Saturday).”
South Sevier slowly started to find a rhythm in the second half, but the size and athleticism of Wasatch Academy was far too much for the Rams too handle.
The Tigers outscored the Rams 21-12 in the second half to secure the double-digit victory and a spot in the championship game Saturday night against Enterprise.
The Tigers and Wolves are set to tip off at 7 p.m. at the Sevier Valley Center.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 28
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21