High school boys basketball: Defending champ Wasatch Academy cruises into 2A title game
RICHFIELD — It’s safe to say the Wasatch Academy Tigers are a heavy favorite to repeat as 2A state champions.
The Region 15 champs had another dismantling win at the 2A boys basketball tournament Friday night, this one a 63-27 victory over Cinderella-esque South Sevier at the Sevier Valley Center.
“At the beginning of the year, the kids set a goal,” Wasatch Academy coach Geno Morgan said. “We set a goal for the same (thing) it was last year — to win a state championship. That’s what we’ve been pushing for all year.”
The Tigers jumped out to a dominating start on both sides of the ball as they opened the game on an impressive 20-1 tear and shot the lights out.
The second quarter wasn’t much different, as the defending state champs opened up a 42-15 halftime lead.
Geno Luzcando had a spectacular first half, torching the Rams for 22 points on impressive 10-of-11 shooting to give the favored team a huge lead.
“I told him he needed to be ready to play, and he looked special tonight,” Morgan said. “We just rolled his back and he’s a senior so I expect that out of him, but that was a big-time game out of him. So hopefully he can bring that again (Saturday).”
South Sevier slowly started to find a rhythm in the second half, but the size and athleticism of Wasatch Academy was far too much for the Rams too handle.
The Tigers outscored the Rams 21-12 in the second half to secure the double-digit victory and a spot in the championship game Saturday night against Enterprise.
The Tigers and Wolves are set to tip off at 7 p.m. at the Sevier Valley Center.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- Position by position: Breaking down the...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 46
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 28
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23