ST. GEORGE — Deseret News Managing Editor Richard D. Hall was honored Friday by the Utah Press Association with its Master Editor and Publisher award.
Hall started working at the Deseret News 44 years ago as an errand boy and is now in his 15th year as the newspaper’s managing editor. He also has been a sports writer, obituary writer, local-news general assignment reporter, Davis editor, state editor, associate city editor, city editor, Olympics coordinator and assistant managing editor.
The press association bestowed its honor during the group's annual winter convention in St. George.
Hall was chairman of the Associated Press Managing Editors Credibility Committee in 2005-06. In 2010, as part of the Deseret News’ restructuring to meet the changing economics of newspapers, Hall spearheaded creation of an integrated multi-platform, multimedia newsroom, which he still oversees in partnership with KSL TV and Radio. In 2011, he was named an executive vice president of the Deseret News Publishing Co.
“Rick’s many years of contributions to the Utah journalism community make him an outstanding candidate for this award from the Utah Press Association,” Deseret News Editor Paul Edwards said. “His grass-roots knowledge of newspapers, from bottom to top, makes him a great leader in the profession.
“His exemplary work at the Deseret News is also mirrored by his service to his family and to the community as a whole.”
Hall has completed the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Utah seminars, served on a resource allocation panel for United Way of Salt Lake, and as a district relationships committee chairman with Boy Scouts of America. He is a stake president in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Hall, 60, graduated from Kearns High School and with a bachelor's degree in mass communications from the University of Utah. He and his wife, Valerie Nordfelt Hall, live in Murray. They have four children and 16 grandchildren.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15