Slopestyle gold medalist Joss Christensen's wild ride continues as he returns to his hometown of Park City
“I want to thank my coaches and the ski team for actually believing in me,” he said. “I owe this to them. And just my family and all my friends, people who believed in me this whole time. It’s crazy to realize all of these people who had this faith in me.”
He hopes to use his new-found fame to bring attention to all aspects of freeskiing, including filming. He’s in the process of putting together a crew to make a ski video on some of the terrain near his Park City home.
“I want to do a bunch of fun skiing and not really worry about competition,” he said. “I want to use this to my advantage and push my skiing and my views and goals. It’s all been pretty amazing so far. We’re just a bunch of kids who are having a lot of fun.”
Another surreal moment was when "Today Show" host Matt Lauer showed them a box of corn flakes with their picture on the front.
But despite all the stars he met and moments he enjoyed, he said spending time with his mom, coaches and the ski team’s support staff at USA House after the medal ceremony was actually the highlight, well, next to actually winning the gold medal.
When Christensen considers how difficult the road to the games was and how unbelievable the road home was, he just laughs.
“The craziest part was just walking around,” Chirstensen said. “We were recognized in the subway, restaurants, it was just crazy that people would recognize skiers.”
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 53
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37