Slopestyle gold medalist Joss Christensen's wild ride continues as he returns to his hometown of Park City
“I want to thank my coaches and the ski team for actually believing in me,” he said. “I owe this to them. And just my family and all my friends, people who believed in me this whole time. It’s crazy to realize all of these people who had this faith in me.”
He hopes to use his new-found fame to bring attention to all aspects of freeskiing, including filming. He’s in the process of putting together a crew to make a ski video on some of the terrain near his Park City home.
“I want to do a bunch of fun skiing and not really worry about competition,” he said. “I want to use this to my advantage and push my skiing and my views and goals. It’s all been pretty amazing so far. We’re just a bunch of kids who are having a lot of fun.”
Another surreal moment was when "Today Show" host Matt Lauer showed them a box of corn flakes with their picture on the front.
But despite all the stars he met and moments he enjoyed, he said spending time with his mom, coaches and the ski team’s support staff at USA House after the medal ceremony was actually the highlight, well, next to actually winning the gold medal.
When Christensen considers how difficult the road to the games was and how unbelievable the road home was, he just laughs.
“The craziest part was just walking around,” Chirstensen said. “We were recognized in the subway, restaurants, it was just crazy that people would recognize skiers.”
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 28