Utah Jazz: Fan runs on the court, and Jazz get run off it by Cavs
“They just kind of took off on us,” he added. “It’s hard on the road when you get down like that to come back. It was one of those nights.”
The Jazz had a similar unraveling against Cleveland, getting outscored 39-21 in the third quarter of a 113-102 loss at EnergySolutions Arena on Jan. 10. And this time the Cavs did it even with former Jazz guard C.J. Miles, center Anderson Varejao, guard Dion Waiters and forward Anthony Bennett sidelined with injuries.
Irving was Cleveland’s catalyst, but the 24-36 squad also got big outings from forward Tristan Thompson (18 points, 14 rebounds), recently acquired center Spencer Hawes (13 points, 16 boards) and forward Luol Deng (16 points).
Utah, meanwhile, got very little production from its starting big men — Derrick Favors and Marvin Williams combined for 13 points and five rebounds. Point guard Trey Burke struggled playing against Irving in his first pro game in his home state, finishing with just four points, five rebounds and three assists.
Despite their rough go, the Jazz didn’t provide the lowlight of the game.
That dishonor belongs to the third spectator in a year who ran onto The Q court. Irving was a good sport about it, joking in the locker room that it was a friend.
"The guy said, 'I love you,' and I said, 'I love you too, bro,'" the star said.
Burke, who only played 23 minutes, said it was “random” to see that happen from the bench.
"That was crazy," added Jazz point guard Diante Garrett, who was in the game at the time. "I’d never seen that in person."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21