UVU golf: Wolverines continue trip at NAU’s Red Rocks Invite
The Utah Valley University women's golf team will continue its week-long trip in Arizona at NAU's Red Rocks Invitational this weekend. The Wolverines will be one of 18 teams to tee off at the Oakcreek Country Club in Sedona.
The two-day tournament will be contested on Saturday and Sunday. Eighteen holes of golf will be played each day.
Besides UVU, Saturday and Sunday's field will feature a slew of Big Sky schools including host Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, Southern Utah and Weber State, as well as fellow WAC foes Grand Canyon and Seattle U. British Columbia, Cal Poly, IUPUI, Mesa CC, Oakland, Xavier, UC Riverside and Wichita State round of the 18 institutions.
The Wolverines enter the tournament on the heels of a ninth-place finish at the Grand Canyon Women's Spring Invite earlier in the week. UVU entered the final day of the 54-hole tournament in 11th place, but after a solid final round it jumped two spots to take ninth with a total of 971.
Junior Brooke Whittaker led the way for the Wolverines at the GCU Invite by shooting 17-over. Whittaker carded respective scores of 78, 75 and 80 on Monday and Tuesday. Whittaker leads UVU on the season with a 77.25 scoring average.
Freshman Monica Yeates was Utah Valley's next best finisher as she tied for 41st with a 243. Yeates tallied scores of 80 and 82 on Monday as well as an 81 on Tuesday. Sophomore Cassandra Lesa recorded the best single round score of any Wolverine at the tournament, as she carded a career-low 74 during the final 18.
Toledo won last year's Red Rocks Invitational with a two-round total of 605, while Cal State Northridge's Clariss Guce took home the individual medalist honors at +2.
Following this weekend's Red Rocks Invite, UVU will return to Utah for action at the Southern Utah Invitational on March 13-14 in St. George.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0