Utah State basketball: Aggies travel to San Jose, look to end rough season on high note
Craig Fritz, AP
SAN JOSE, Calif. — When Utah State takes on former WAC foe San Jose State on Saturday, the Aggies will be looking to pull themselves out of an awful start to 2014.
Utah State (15-13, 5-11) is undefeated against the Spartans in the last eight meetings, dating back to 2010.
But USU head coach Stew Morrill isn’t taking anything as a gimme.
“Every game that they’ve lost at home for the most part has been really close," Morrill said. "They see us rolling into town at 5-11 and are probably licking their chops thinking this is their chance to get a win.”
Utah State leads the Mountain West in 3-point shot percentage but hasn't won a conference game shooting less than 40 percent from beyond the arc.
But the Aggies don’t have a monopoly on long-range shooting: The Spartans are ranked No. 8 in the nation in 3-pointers attempted.
“Their best opportunity to win is to shoot you out from three, and that’s what they’ll be looking to do, Morrill said. “They did a good job of it here, especially in the first half. We’ve got to be able to defend the 3-point line.”
San Jose State made a school-record 15 shots from beyond the arc when it lost 86-67 to the Aggies in January.
The Spartans (7-20, 1-14) are led by freshman Rashad Muhammed, who averages 13.6 points per game and is nine 3-pointers away from SJSU’s single-season school record — all as a player who doesn’t start.
“I’m sure they have their reasons, whatever they might be,” Morrill said. “Maybe he likes coming off the bench, maybe something else, I don’t know. You have to treat him as a starter.”
Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. and can be seen on ROOT Sports.
“We only have a few opportunities left this season and we need to go play,” Morrill said.
Tavin Stucki is a senior journalism student at Utah State University and editor-in-chief of The Utah Statesman, the Aggie campus newspaper. Twitter: @DesNewsAggies @StuckiAggies
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25