4-year-old fashion designer creates dresses with mom out of paper
Mayhem Keiser hasn't even made it to kindergarten, yet she has received so much attention for her fashion designs online, even Vera Wang would be proud.
Angie Keiser says her 4-year-old daughter has always loved to play dress up, but it wasn't until one day when she suggested Mayhem make a dress out of paper that she really started to show her interest in design.
"It has been a lot of fun to watch. She has learned that when you put the pieces flat next to each other, they won’t work. [She knows that] to fit around your waist, you have to lay it at an angle,” Keiser told the "Today" show.
"She could lay out construction paper right now and tape it all together into a dress. She knows how many pieces she needs for a top and bottom."
Although Mayhem is not Keiser's daughter's real name, what started out as a family nick-name has stuck as her 4-year-old's online pseudonym. In an interview with Mommy Shorts, Keiser expressed how she continues to be impressed by Mayhem's abilities.
"The ideas are pretty much a 50/50 split, but Mayhem constructs a lot more than most people would probably believe," Keiser said.
"That's one of the best things about this project, I see her learning new skills every single day."
Many have asked if the mother-daughter duo has continued to stick to solely paper in their designs.
"Most of the time. We use a lot of construction paper, but we also use tissue paper, wrapping paper and gift bags," Keiser told Mommy Shorts.
"We have also used silk scarves, tulle and aluminum foil. Basically, if we can find it lying around the house and it's pliable, it's fair game."
Keiser, who works as a photographer, began posting the pictures of their designs on her blog and Instagram account months ago. Both have continued to gain attention and fans, as Keiser's Instagram account has more than 210,000 followers as of Friday.
Many of Mayhem's ideas come from dresses that celebrities have worn on the red carpet or at award shows. Others mimic popular Disney icons, such as Snow White and Minnie Mouse.
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 7
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2