New BabyLit board books, picture book are about Huck Finn, Jungle Book and Edgar Allan Poe
“EDGAR GETS READY FOR BED,” by Jennifer Adams and illustrated by Ron Stucki, Gibbs Smith, $16.99 (ages 0-3)
Author Jennifer Adams continues to make classic literature accessible to families and young audiences.
Publisher Gibbs Smith has added two new board book primers and a picture book to the BabyLit series.
“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A Camping Primer” plays off Huckleberry Finn’s travels down “the Ole Miss.” Readers discover the fundamentals of a camping trip through the experiences of this well-known character. Elements include lanterns, friends, a fishing line and more, and all are accompanied by quotes from the source material.
“The Jungle Book: An Animals Primer” seems a natural primer to create from Rudyard Kipling’s novel. Akela the wolf, Baloo the bear, Kaa the python, Shere Kahn the tiger and more come together to introduce readers to wildlife. Adams’ selection of which quotes to include was wise. Most passages involve movement on the part of the animal, which brings the jungle to life.
Alison Oliver provides the illustrations for both of these primers, and the art is the highlight of the books. The bright colors and dynamic shapes are unique and cater well to the books’ demographic.
Adams teamed up with illustrator Ron Stucki for BabyLit’s first picture book, “Edgar Gets Ready for Bed.” Based on Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven,” the children’s book follows a young raven, appropriately named Edgar, as he goes through his nighttime routine.
It portrays an evening tug of war between mother and child. As Edgar doesn’t want to eat his vegetables, clean his room, brush his teeth or put on his pajamas, he emphatically protests with the common line from Poe’s poem, “Nevermore.”
It’s a clever adaptation of classic literature, and this tale of little Edgar’s disobedience ultimately ends on a happy note as it portrays the patience and love of a parent.
If you go
What: Jennifer Adams book signing of “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A Camping Primer” and “The Jungle Book: An Animals Primer”
When: Thursday, March 6, 7 p.m.
Where: The King’s English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase copies of the featured books from The King’s English.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: WhitneyButters
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 12
- Stephen Colbert is back to take on the... 9
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 1
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1