New BabyLit board books, picture book are about Huck Finn, Jungle Book and Edgar Allan Poe
“EDGAR GETS READY FOR BED,” by Jennifer Adams and illustrated by Ron Stucki, Gibbs Smith, $16.99 (ages 0-3)
Author Jennifer Adams continues to make classic literature accessible to families and young audiences.
Publisher Gibbs Smith has added two new board book primers and a picture book to the BabyLit series.
“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A Camping Primer” plays off Huckleberry Finn’s travels down “the Ole Miss.” Readers discover the fundamentals of a camping trip through the experiences of this well-known character. Elements include lanterns, friends, a fishing line and more, and all are accompanied by quotes from the source material.
“The Jungle Book: An Animals Primer” seems a natural primer to create from Rudyard Kipling’s novel. Akela the wolf, Baloo the bear, Kaa the python, Shere Kahn the tiger and more come together to introduce readers to wildlife. Adams’ selection of which quotes to include was wise. Most passages involve movement on the part of the animal, which brings the jungle to life.
Alison Oliver provides the illustrations for both of these primers, and the art is the highlight of the books. The bright colors and dynamic shapes are unique and cater well to the books’ demographic.
Adams teamed up with illustrator Ron Stucki for BabyLit’s first picture book, “Edgar Gets Ready for Bed.” Based on Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven,” the children’s book follows a young raven, appropriately named Edgar, as he goes through his nighttime routine.
It portrays an evening tug of war between mother and child. As Edgar doesn’t want to eat his vegetables, clean his room, brush his teeth or put on his pajamas, he emphatically protests with the common line from Poe’s poem, “Nevermore.”
It’s a clever adaptation of classic literature, and this tale of little Edgar’s disobedience ultimately ends on a happy note as it portrays the patience and love of a parent.
If you go
What: Jennifer Adams book signing of “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A Camping Primer” and “The Jungle Book: An Animals Primer”
When: Thursday, March 6, 7 p.m.
Where: The King’s English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase copies of the featured books from The King’s English.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: WhitneyButters
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Sherry Young: The world is indeed a glorious...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Cowboy Fest this weekend at Natural History...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2