High school girls basketball: Fremont turns back Bingham to reach 5A semifinals for 2nd straight year
Sherdyn Parker also scored a dozen points and had seven rebounds and three steals for Bingham, with Holly Sorensen chipping in with nine points and eight rebounds.
But after the Miners staged a strong comeback down the stretch, it was Wayment's big three-point play that was the decisive difference-maker — prompting a grateful mini-celebration by her teammates.
"We just went and attacked her, like 'Yoo-hoo!' " Hansen said. "We were freaking out."
"That was huge, yeah," Dalebout said.
And after that huge play, the Wolves pulled away.
"I was really pleased at the end of the game especially. They made some big plays; they pulled some really big boards," Dalebout said of her team. "They didn't have a great night, especially offensively, but we're gonna figure that one out.
"But I feel like they did a really good job of responding to things and playing through some tough stuff. ... There were just moments where they did a good job of just playing through it.
"To be honest, I know (the Miners) pulled it tight, (but) I wasn't even paying attention to the score," she said of Bingham's fourth-quarter rally. "I was telling them to do a better job on each possession and do a better job getting stops. I feel like we let up. We kind of played a little safe and it hurt us. So I think there was a valuable lesson to be learned — you've got to keep up the pressure; you've got to keep playing hard, especially offensively."
Dalebout said her squad got solid performances from several unsung heroes and can definitely learn and grow from Thursday's close call.
"We had big plays by some girls that really stepped up and did a really great job at converting on tough stuff," the Fremont coach said. "It emotionally boosted us big time. And I thought our bench did an amazing job again tonight in playing really hard. Everybody came in and just did a good job.
"There were some really big moments in the end of that ballgame where they just stepped up and made plays."
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Looking back and ahead at BYU's football...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?; Andre...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 54
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 26
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 22