High school girls basketball: Fremont turns back Bingham to reach 5A semifinals for 2nd straight year
Sherdyn Parker also scored a dozen points and had seven rebounds and three steals for Bingham, with Holly Sorensen chipping in with nine points and eight rebounds.
But after the Miners staged a strong comeback down the stretch, it was Wayment's big three-point play that was the decisive difference-maker — prompting a grateful mini-celebration by her teammates.
"We just went and attacked her, like 'Yoo-hoo!' " Hansen said. "We were freaking out."
"That was huge, yeah," Dalebout said.
And after that huge play, the Wolves pulled away.
"I was really pleased at the end of the game especially. They made some big plays; they pulled some really big boards," Dalebout said of her team. "They didn't have a great night, especially offensively, but we're gonna figure that one out.
"But I feel like they did a really good job of responding to things and playing through some tough stuff. ... There were just moments where they did a good job of just playing through it.
"To be honest, I know (the Miners) pulled it tight, (but) I wasn't even paying attention to the score," she said of Bingham's fourth-quarter rally. "I was telling them to do a better job on each possession and do a better job getting stops. I feel like we let up. We kind of played a little safe and it hurt us. So I think there was a valuable lesson to be learned — you've got to keep up the pressure; you've got to keep playing hard, especially offensively."
Dalebout said her squad got solid performances from several unsung heroes and can definitely learn and grow from Thursday's close call.
"We had big plays by some girls that really stepped up and did a really great job at converting on tough stuff," the Fremont coach said. "It emotionally boosted us big time. And I thought our bench did an amazing job again tonight in playing really hard. Everybody came in and just did a good job.
"There were some really big moments in the end of that ballgame where they just stepped up and made plays."
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 52
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 33
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31