Mormons in the Olympics: 3 medals for LDS athletes at the Winter Games
Felipe Dana, Associated Press
Mormon athletes competing in the 2014 Winter Olympics accounted for two silver medals and one bronze medal during the games in Sochi, Russia.
• Noelle Pikus-Pace, 31, of Eagle Mountain, Utah, took silver in the women’s skeleton in her and her family’s search for that once-elusive Olympic medal. Pikus-Pace narrowly came in fourth in the 2010 Vancouver Games before retiring. She came back for a run at Sochi.
• Australia’s Torah Bright took silver in the women’s snowboard halfpipe. The 27-year-old, who lives part time in Utah and trains there, competed in three women’s snowboard events. She was seventh in the snowboard slopestyle event and was 18th overall in snowboard cross, or boardercross as it’s commonly called.
She was the gold medalist in the halfpipe event in the 2010 Games in Vancouver.
• Chris Fogt, 30, of Alpine, Utah, was the brakeman on the bronze-medal-winning USA-1 Night Train 2 sled with driver Steve Holcomb. Fogt took 12th in the two-man bobsled with pilot Cory Butner on the USA-2 sled. This is Fogt's second Olympics.
• Eric Neilson, 33, of Calgary, Canada, came in 13th in the men’s skeleton. Neilson’s silver helmet with a maple leaf design was noted as one of the creative ones among the racers.
• Christian Niccum, 36, of Woodinville, Wash., was 11th in the men’s double luge with Jayson Terdiman. The team was also part of the first luge relay event, which included a single man, a single woman and a doubles team. The USA team took sixth. It was the third Olympics for Niccum.
• Jessika Jenson, 22, of Rigby, Idaho, was 13th in the women’s snowboard slopestyle and just barely outside making the finals in the inaugural Olympic event.
• Steve Nyman, 32, of Sundance, Utah, was 27th in men’s alpine downhill. This is his third Olympics. He also competed in 2006 in Italy and 2010 in Vancouver.
Also, Erik Fisher, 28, of Middleton, Idaho, was part of the U.S. Ski Team that went to Russia, but he didn’t compete in the men’s alpine downhill due to knee injuries.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: CTRappleye
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Sadie Robertson lets her light shine during...
- Watch: LDS musician Lindsey Stirling speaks...
- Ask Angela: Should I end this relationship...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- Utah mother celebrates Thanksgiving with...
- LDS missionary becomes part of pilgrim...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- New friends plan to work together to... 50
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 10
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon 8
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 8
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5