Responding to concerns about the gas tax (“Per-gallon tax outdated” Feb. 25). The math is current, reliable and miraculously accounts for vehicle mileage and weight.
Your Prius driven 3,000 miles at 50 mpg requires 60 gallons of gas, costing you $0.24 per gallon or $14.40 in gas tax. My Escalade, driven 60,000 miles at 15 mpg, requires 4,000 gallons of gas, costing me the same $0.24 per gallon or $960.00 in gas tax. No need to weigh cars or measure emissions, which would be another tax.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Jay Evensen: Marijuana acceptance will lead...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37