Responding to concerns about the gas tax (“Per-gallon tax outdated” Feb. 25). The math is current, reliable and miraculously accounts for vehicle mileage and weight.
Your Prius driven 3,000 miles at 50 mpg requires 60 gallons of gas, costing you $0.24 per gallon or $14.40 in gas tax. My Escalade, driven 60,000 miles at 15 mpg, requires 4,000 gallons of gas, costing me the same $0.24 per gallon or $960.00 in gas tax. No need to weigh cars or measure emissions, which would be another tax.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 23