Responding to concerns about the gas tax (“Per-gallon tax outdated” Feb. 25). The math is current, reliable and miraculously accounts for vehicle mileage and weight.
Your Prius driven 3,000 miles at 50 mpg requires 60 gallons of gas, costing you $0.24 per gallon or $14.40 in gas tax. My Escalade, driven 60,000 miles at 15 mpg, requires 4,000 gallons of gas, costing me the same $0.24 per gallon or $960.00 in gas tax. No need to weigh cars or measure emissions, which would be another tax.
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28