BYU Ruby: Cougars face the Glendale Raptors in 2014 home opener
BYU rugby opens its 2014 home schedule on Saturday against the Glendale Raptors club team. The Cougars are looking to continue their winning ways after beating Montana State in last week’s unofficial friendly.
“It’s great to come home and play our first game of the season on South Field,” BYU head coach David Smyth said. “We’ve enjoyed some great support over the years and really hope it continues for this upcoming season.”
BYU rugby is currently 7-1 this season with the lone loss coming at the hands of St. Mary’s on Feb. 15. With the loss, the Cougars fell from No.1 to No. 3 on the RugbyMag.com top 25 list, while the Gaels moved up from No. 6 to No. 1 in the rankings.
Regardless of where BYU rugby ranks nationally, the back-to-back national champions look forward to finally playing for its own fans on its home field.
“The boys are excited to perform in front of our fans,” Smyth said.
BYU is looking to see continued improvement as it enters a very important part of the 2014 season. Saturday’s game against a talented Glendale team should be a good test for the Cougars. The Raptors play in the Pacific Rugby Premiership, which is the country’s top men’s domestic competition.
The Cougars will be led by team captain Kyle Sumsion, who recently returned from Marietta, Ga., where he participated in his second USA Rugby Eagle’s Domestic Camp. The camp was held in preparation for the IRB Rugby World Cup 2015 Qualifier against Uruguay.
“I’m really excited to be back with the team playing at home in front of our fans,” Sumsion said. “We’re all looking forward to Saturday.”
The game against Glendale begins at 1 p.m. MST at South Field in Provo. Those not able to attend can watch the game on the BYU Rugby YouTube channel feed or follow the game live via Twitter.
Kelby Jones is a student at BYU studying public relations and currently writes for BYU Rugby.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39