High school girls basketball: Mountain View wins defensive battle over Wasatch
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Good things are usually in store for Mountain View when the score is kept low.
Such was the case in the Bruins' 48-38 win over Wasatch in the quarterfinals of the 4A state tournament Wednesday.
"That's how we like to play and that's when we're at our best," said Mountain View coach Alan Groves. "We're used to playing like that. It's what we've done all year."
The Bruins made a big second-half push and had some key help off the bench, but it was their defense that was the biggest factor.
During a key fourth-quarter stretch, Mountain View amped up its defensive pressure to force steals, leading to easy buckets on the other end. Three straight steals by the Bruins led to three straight buckets and a 38-32 lead with just more than three minutes remaining in the contest.
"We've had a lot of these type of games and our girls are just used to finishing it like that," Groves said. "This game was really the blueprint for what we've done and we know that when it gets late that we need to step up our defensive pressure."
Adding significantly to Mountain View's key fourth-quarter run was help off the bench from Stephanie Keele and Ariana Kaillipona. Keele finished with 10 points and two steals while Kailipona finished with eight points and eight rebounds.
"We know we can count on those two off the bench to give us energy and we definitely got that from them today," Groves said. "They were huge for us."
After taking back the lead midway through the fourth, the Bruins cruised to victory with sharp shooting from the line while taking care of the ball in the face of some tenacious Wasp defensive pressure.
With the win Mountain View advances to the semifinals against Skyline.
"Hopefully we can keep the score low Friday because that's when it happens for us," Groves said. "It worked for us in the first round, it worked for us today and it's worked all year. We're not going to change a thing with our approach."
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 226
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 97
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 82
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 56
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26