BYU track heads to Seattle for the third time this season, this time to compete in the MPSF Championships with hopes to qualify more athletes for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Championships.
“We really want to do well at nationals, and to do that we need to get more qualifiers,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “We should have a good showing and up our team ranking as well. We can do it, we just need to step up.”
Jared Ward will compete in the 3000 meters with hopes to qualify for his second event at nationals, as he has already posted a qualifying time in the 5000 meters.
Joshua Weirich will look to improve his chances by upping his score in the heptathlon.
“I challenged the team to have their best marks of the season this week, so hopefully we see a majority of the team show up with their best effort,” Eyestone said.
The Cougars are also looking for strong performances from their high jumpers, as Zachary Blackham, Sam Rockwood and Dakoda John all cleared 2.12 meters this season, tied for the seventh best mark in the conference.
Braydon Bringhurst comes into the meet with the highest mark in the conference in the pole vault at 5.50 meters and will be the favorite to win the MPSF championship.
The meet will run Friday and Saturday, Feb. 28-March 1. Friday’s events will begin at noon PST and conclude with the men’s and women’s distance medley relay at 7:10 p.m. and 7:25 p.m., respectively. Saturday’s slate begins at 10:30 a.m. PST and finishes close to 3 p.m.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: email@example.com
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 133
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 100
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 52
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 48