Jud Burkett, The Spectrum
ST. GEORGE — Motorists traveling between St. George and Mesquite, Nev., should plan ahead for delays in both directions through the work zones, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
On March 3 and March 4, northbound and southbound traffic is scheduled to be switched to the northbound lanes at Virgin River Bridge No. 2 and Bridge No. 3 — both at milepost 13 located about 15 miles north of Mesquite and Bridge No. 7 at milepost 22 around 15 miles south of St. George — to allow work on the southbound bridge deck surfaces to begin.
I-15 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction at each of the bridge locations and delays are expected. The $2.8 million improvement project is scheduled for completion this summer.
The department said drivers should allow at least 15 minutes of extra travel time on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Additional delays may occur on weekends due to heavier traffic volumes and special events — including spring break from mid-March through late April.
In March, the Arizona Department of Transportation is expected to start the reconstruction of Virgin River Bridge No. 6 at milepost 16, located approximately 21 miles south of St. George. The $27 million rehabilitation project will include the replacement of the bridge’s superstructure — girders, deck and railings — as well as widening the roadway through the narrow passage of the gorge.
With limited alternate routes available due to the remote location of the I-15 Virgin River Gorge corridor, the department is urging drivers to plan ahead, allow plenty of extra travel time and drive carefully through work zones paying particular attention to construction equipment and highway workers. Unscheduled restrictions or closures may occur from time to time, and construction schedules are subject to change.
Drivers can visit the Traveler Information Center at az511.gov or call 511. For those outside of Arizona call 1-888-411-ROAD (7623).
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15