AMERICAN FORK — Two Orem men accused of shooting and killing a third man during an apparent dispute over a drug debt both struck plea deals Tuesday.
Mason French and Travis Waldron, both 24, pleaded guilty to amended charges of manslaughter, possession of a firearm and obstructing justice, all second-degree felonies. Both were originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony.
On Nov. 19, French and Waldron — whom prosecutors described as drunk and angry that night — confronted Rupert E. Miley, 42, over a drug debt. The three got into Miley's car, and, while driving, Miley was shot from the back seat where French was sitting. French later told investigators the gun went off accidentally.
The car crashed near 800 North and 100 East in Orem a short time later.
Tuesday, the men waived their preliminary hearings and agreed to the plea deal. They are scheduled to be sentenced on April 21.
All three men involved in the incident have a history of drug-related arrests and charges, according to court documents.
— Pat Reavy
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12