AMERICAN FORK — Two Orem men accused of shooting and killing a third man during an apparent dispute over a drug debt both struck plea deals Tuesday.
Mason French and Travis Waldron, both 24, pleaded guilty to amended charges of manslaughter, possession of a firearm and obstructing justice, all second-degree felonies. Both were originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony.
On Nov. 19, French and Waldron — whom prosecutors described as drunk and angry that night — confronted Rupert E. Miley, 42, over a drug debt. The three got into Miley's car, and, while driving, Miley was shot from the back seat where French was sitting. French later told investigators the gun went off accidentally.
The car crashed near 800 North and 100 East in Orem a short time later.
Tuesday, the men waived their preliminary hearings and agreed to the plea deal. They are scheduled to be sentenced on April 21.
All three men involved in the incident have a history of drug-related arrests and charges, according to court documents.
— Pat Reavy
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9