AMERICAN FORK — Two Orem men accused of shooting and killing a third man during an apparent dispute over a drug debt both struck plea deals Tuesday.
Mason French and Travis Waldron, both 24, pleaded guilty to amended charges of manslaughter, possession of a firearm and obstructing justice, all second-degree felonies. Both were originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony.
On Nov. 19, French and Waldron — whom prosecutors described as drunk and angry that night — confronted Rupert E. Miley, 42, over a drug debt. The three got into Miley's car, and, while driving, Miley was shot from the back seat where French was sitting. French later told investigators the gun went off accidentally.
The car crashed near 800 North and 100 East in Orem a short time later.
Tuesday, the men waived their preliminary hearings and agreed to the plea deal. They are scheduled to be sentenced on April 21.
All three men involved in the incident have a history of drug-related arrests and charges, according to court documents.
— Pat Reavy
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20