AMERICAN FORK — Two Orem men accused of shooting and killing a third man during an apparent dispute over a drug debt both struck plea deals Tuesday.
Mason French and Travis Waldron, both 24, pleaded guilty to amended charges of manslaughter, possession of a firearm and obstructing justice, all second-degree felonies. Both were originally charged with murder, a first-degree felony.
On Nov. 19, French and Waldron — whom prosecutors described as drunk and angry that night — confronted Rupert E. Miley, 42, over a drug debt. The three got into Miley's car, and, while driving, Miley was shot from the back seat where French was sitting. French later told investigators the gun went off accidentally.
The car crashed near 800 North and 100 East in Orem a short time later.
Tuesday, the men waived their preliminary hearings and agreed to the plea deal. They are scheduled to be sentenced on April 21.
All three men involved in the incident have a history of drug-related arrests and charges, according to court documents.
— Pat Reavy
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8