Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its annual Women’s Week celebration Feb. 28 through March 6, with the theme “What Matters.”
The week's events aim to allow women to connect with each other, identify goals and passions and learn skills to confront challenges that inhibit their progress, according to a press release from the U.
“The University of Utah has a strong commitment to helping women succeed,” said Susie Porter, chairwoman of the Women’s Week committee and director of the U.’s gender studies program. “The university has programs in place to support women year-round, and taking a week to celebrate women elevates those programs.”
The week kicks off with the annual Kochenour Memorial lecture, Friday, Feb. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium at the U. The lecture, “Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower,” explores the impact of family on women's career choices and ways to support parents in the workplace.
Students and faculty from the U.’s departments of music, languages and literature, and modern dance will present the week’s concluding event, a multimedia performance about three Italian women who overcame social barriers to achieve success as artists, musicians and poets.
All events for Women’s Week are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For information, visit diversity.utah.edu/womens-week.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27