Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its annual Women’s Week celebration Feb. 28 through March 6, with the theme “What Matters.”
The week's events aim to allow women to connect with each other, identify goals and passions and learn skills to confront challenges that inhibit their progress, according to a press release from the U.
“The University of Utah has a strong commitment to helping women succeed,” said Susie Porter, chairwoman of the Women’s Week committee and director of the U.’s gender studies program. “The university has programs in place to support women year-round, and taking a week to celebrate women elevates those programs.”
The week kicks off with the annual Kochenour Memorial lecture, Friday, Feb. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium at the U. The lecture, “Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower,” explores the impact of family on women's career choices and ways to support parents in the workplace.
Students and faculty from the U.’s departments of music, languages and literature, and modern dance will present the week’s concluding event, a multimedia performance about three Italian women who overcame social barriers to achieve success as artists, musicians and poets.
All events for Women’s Week are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For information, visit diversity.utah.edu/womens-week.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12