Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its annual Women’s Week celebration Feb. 28 through March 6, with the theme “What Matters.”
The week's events aim to allow women to connect with each other, identify goals and passions and learn skills to confront challenges that inhibit their progress, according to a press release from the U.
“The University of Utah has a strong commitment to helping women succeed,” said Susie Porter, chairwoman of the Women’s Week committee and director of the U.’s gender studies program. “The university has programs in place to support women year-round, and taking a week to celebrate women elevates those programs.”
The week kicks off with the annual Kochenour Memorial lecture, Friday, Feb. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium at the U. The lecture, “Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower,” explores the impact of family on women's career choices and ways to support parents in the workplace.
Students and faculty from the U.’s departments of music, languages and literature, and modern dance will present the week’s concluding event, a multimedia performance about three Italian women who overcame social barriers to achieve success as artists, musicians and poets.
All events for Women’s Week are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For information, visit diversity.utah.edu/womens-week.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14