Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its annual Women’s Week celebration Feb. 28 through March 6, with the theme “What Matters.”
The week's events aim to allow women to connect with each other, identify goals and passions and learn skills to confront challenges that inhibit their progress, according to a press release from the U.
“The University of Utah has a strong commitment to helping women succeed,” said Susie Porter, chairwoman of the Women’s Week committee and director of the U.’s gender studies program. “The university has programs in place to support women year-round, and taking a week to celebrate women elevates those programs.”
The week kicks off with the annual Kochenour Memorial lecture, Friday, Feb. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium at the U. The lecture, “Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower,” explores the impact of family on women's career choices and ways to support parents in the workplace.
Students and faculty from the U.’s departments of music, languages and literature, and modern dance will present the week’s concluding event, a multimedia performance about three Italian women who overcame social barriers to achieve success as artists, musicians and poets.
All events for Women’s Week are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For information, visit diversity.utah.edu/womens-week.
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12