Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its annual Women’s Week celebration Feb. 28 through March 6, with the theme “What Matters.”
The week's events aim to allow women to connect with each other, identify goals and passions and learn skills to confront challenges that inhibit their progress, according to a press release from the U.
“The University of Utah has a strong commitment to helping women succeed,” said Susie Porter, chairwoman of the Women’s Week committee and director of the U.’s gender studies program. “The university has programs in place to support women year-round, and taking a week to celebrate women elevates those programs.”
The week kicks off with the annual Kochenour Memorial lecture, Friday, Feb. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the Orson Spencer Hall auditorium at the U. The lecture, “Do Babies Matter? Gender and Family in the Ivory Tower,” explores the impact of family on women's career choices and ways to support parents in the workplace.
Students and faculty from the U.’s departments of music, languages and literature, and modern dance will present the week’s concluding event, a multimedia performance about three Italian women who overcame social barriers to achieve success as artists, musicians and poets.
All events for Women’s Week are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For information, visit diversity.utah.edu/womens-week.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UDOT to begin adding lanes to I-15 in...
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 42
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 38
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 14
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Sanders to address Utah delegation to... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9