Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's diesel school bus fleet may get an alternative fuel upgrade if a bill overwhelmingly approved by the House on Tuesday becomes law.
HB41, sponsored by Rep. Stephen Handy, R-Layton, calls for $20 million from the state's education fund to be used as grants to replace buses manufactured before 2002 with new alternative fuel or clean fuel models.
School districts applying for grants would be required to use matching funds to purchase vehicles, Handy said, and a portion of the grant money would be used for infrastructure upgrades.
"Really, in the big picture, this is a $40 million clean air initiative," he said.
Depending on the type of alternative fuel vehicle purchases through the grant, schools would save roughly $40,000 in fuel costs over the life of a vehicle, Handy said.
If the full $20 million is used to purchase new vehicles, the total fuel savings over the life of the state's school bus fleet could be as much as $58 million, he said.
"We're talking a big deal, a big savings over the lifespan of these buses," Handy said.
The House voted 73-1 to approve the bill, which now goes to the Senate for consideration.
The bill has also received the support of the Utah Parent Teacher Conference and Utah Association of Secondary School Principals. The State School Board supports the concept of the bill but stopped short of formally endorsing it.
— Benjamin Wood
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 33
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 27
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18