Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's diesel school bus fleet may get an alternative fuel upgrade if a bill overwhelmingly approved by the House on Tuesday becomes law.
HB41, sponsored by Rep. Stephen Handy, R-Layton, calls for $20 million from the state's education fund to be used as grants to replace buses manufactured before 2002 with new alternative fuel or clean fuel models.
School districts applying for grants would be required to use matching funds to purchase vehicles, Handy said, and a portion of the grant money would be used for infrastructure upgrades.
"Really, in the big picture, this is a $40 million clean air initiative," he said.
Depending on the type of alternative fuel vehicle purchases through the grant, schools would save roughly $40,000 in fuel costs over the life of a vehicle, Handy said.
If the full $20 million is used to purchase new vehicles, the total fuel savings over the life of the state's school bus fleet could be as much as $58 million, he said.
"We're talking a big deal, a big savings over the lifespan of these buses," Handy said.
The House voted 73-1 to approve the bill, which now goes to the Senate for consideration.
The bill has also received the support of the Utah Parent Teacher Conference and Utah Association of Secondary School Principals. The State School Board supports the concept of the bill but stopped short of formally endorsing it.
— Benjamin Wood
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 86
- Bingham High students walk out over... 75
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 24
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18