Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — In recognition of Black History Month, the city will present a screening and panel discussion of the film “An Ordinary Hero: The True Story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland.”
The documentary follows the true story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, a young, white college student who became an active participant in the civil rights movement as a Freedom Rider. Mulholland will share her personal story of facing discrimination.
The event is 7 p.m. Friday in the Tessman Auditorium at the Salt Lake City Main Library. It is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office, in partnership with the City Library and the Salt Lake City School District.
Following the screening, Mulholland will answer questions from the audience, and a panel will discuss segregation and the historic events of the early 1960s.
Panelists include Darius Gray, writer, speaker, journalist, documentary filmmaker and activist for the Civil Roots Movement in African-American history and genealogy; Gloria Wilkinson, senior vice president for community relations at Zions Bank; Jackie Thompson, director of the educational equity department at Davis School District; Forrest Crawford, professor and former assistant to the president for diversity at Weber State University; Frances Battle, principal at Bryant Middle School; and Jeanetta Williams, president of the NAACP Salt Lake Branch.
The discussion will be moderated by Nkoyo Iyamba, local anchor and reporter for KSL-TV.
The screening and panel discussion are free and open to the public.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14