Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — In recognition of Black History Month, the city will present a screening and panel discussion of the film “An Ordinary Hero: The True Story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland.”
The documentary follows the true story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, a young, white college student who became an active participant in the civil rights movement as a Freedom Rider. Mulholland will share her personal story of facing discrimination.
The event is 7 p.m. Friday in the Tessman Auditorium at the Salt Lake City Main Library. It is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office, in partnership with the City Library and the Salt Lake City School District.
Following the screening, Mulholland will answer questions from the audience, and a panel will discuss segregation and the historic events of the early 1960s.
Panelists include Darius Gray, writer, speaker, journalist, documentary filmmaker and activist for the Civil Roots Movement in African-American history and genealogy; Gloria Wilkinson, senior vice president for community relations at Zions Bank; Jackie Thompson, director of the educational equity department at Davis School District; Forrest Crawford, professor and former assistant to the president for diversity at Weber State University; Frances Battle, principal at Bryant Middle School; and Jeanetta Williams, president of the NAACP Salt Lake Branch.
The discussion will be moderated by Nkoyo Iyamba, local anchor and reporter for KSL-TV.
The screening and panel discussion are free and open to the public.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Judge tosses snowboarders' lawsuit demanding...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Granite School District reminds teachers of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Bingham High students walk out over... 96
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 28
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 16