Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — In recognition of Black History Month, the city will present a screening and panel discussion of the film “An Ordinary Hero: The True Story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland.”
The documentary follows the true story of Joan Trumpauer Mulholland, a young, white college student who became an active participant in the civil rights movement as a Freedom Rider. Mulholland will share her personal story of facing discrimination.
The event is 7 p.m. Friday in the Tessman Auditorium at the Salt Lake City Main Library. It is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office, in partnership with the City Library and the Salt Lake City School District.
Following the screening, Mulholland will answer questions from the audience, and a panel will discuss segregation and the historic events of the early 1960s.
Panelists include Darius Gray, writer, speaker, journalist, documentary filmmaker and activist for the Civil Roots Movement in African-American history and genealogy; Gloria Wilkinson, senior vice president for community relations at Zions Bank; Jackie Thompson, director of the educational equity department at Davis School District; Forrest Crawford, professor and former assistant to the president for diversity at Weber State University; Frances Battle, principal at Bryant Middle School; and Jeanetta Williams, president of the NAACP Salt Lake Branch.
The discussion will be moderated by Nkoyo Iyamba, local anchor and reporter for KSL-TV.
The screening and panel discussion are free and open to the public.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah defends busting theater for serving...
- Lawyers for victim in teacher sex case...
- Polynesians refused service at Utah bar...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- National conservative group backs... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15