Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill aimed at letting voters protect their personal information passed the House on Tuesday.
Rep. Becky Edwards, R-North Salt Lake, described HB302 as what the public wants after Utah voter information, including birthdates and phone numbers, was made available online at no charge on a commercial website.
"Government should not require an individual to relinquish their right to privacy in order to be able to vote," Edwards told her fellow lawmakers, advising them that she had compiled copies of all of their personal information.
Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns, said he tried unsuccessfully to pass similar legislation in previous sessions. Hutchings said he recently became a victim of identity theft and saw his credit rating plummet.
While he said he did not know where his personal information was taken from, Hutchings said all sources must be protected.
"The government's reckless use of personal information is getting out of hand," he said.
Edwards said her bill would allow voters to choose to keep their information private when they register and classifies birthdates as protected records. She said the bill offers safeguards not included in a related bill, SB36.
HB302 was approved 71-2 and now goes to the Senate.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 112
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 23
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12