Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill aimed at letting voters protect their personal information passed the House on Tuesday.
Rep. Becky Edwards, R-North Salt Lake, described HB302 as what the public wants after Utah voter information, including birthdates and phone numbers, was made available online at no charge on a commercial website.
"Government should not require an individual to relinquish their right to privacy in order to be able to vote," Edwards told her fellow lawmakers, advising them that she had compiled copies of all of their personal information.
Rep. Eric Hutchings, R-Kearns, said he tried unsuccessfully to pass similar legislation in previous sessions. Hutchings said he recently became a victim of identity theft and saw his credit rating plummet.
While he said he did not know where his personal information was taken from, Hutchings said all sources must be protected.
"The government's reckless use of personal information is getting out of hand," he said.
Edwards said her bill would allow voters to choose to keep their information private when they register and classifies birthdates as protected records. She said the bill offers safeguards not included in a related bill, SB36.
HB302 was approved 71-2 and now goes to the Senate.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- Women innovators leading by example
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 38
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10