Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah quarterback Travis Wilson, who has been sidelined since an intracranial artery injury was discovered following a loss to Arizona State on Nov. 9, will be back on the practice field when spring camp opens on March 18.
Team physician David Petron released a statement on Wilson’s status Monday evening.
“Travis’s most recent studies have all been stable, he has been cleared to return to non-contact practice with the team and he will be re-evaluated in July,” Petron said.
In making the announcement, Utah officials noted that quarterbacks in the program are generally off-limits to contact, anyhow, during spring ball.
Wilson, a junior who is 7-9 as Utah’s starter, will join junior Adam Schulz and redshirt freshmen Brandon Cox, Conner Manning and Micah Thomas in the quarterback mix this spring. Louisiana high school star Donovan Isom, who signed a letter of intent earlier this month, is scheduled to join the program this summer.
In addition, former Wyoming quarterback Jason Thompson is enrolled at Utah and will have to sit out next season because of NCAA transfer rules.
Prior to the injury that kept him out of Utah’s final three games last season, Wilson had played in 21 consecutive games — completing 261-of-441 passes for 3,138 yards with 23 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.
In 2013, the 6-foot-7 quarterback from San Clemente, Calif., completed 133-of-237 passes for 1,827 yards. He had 16 touchdown tosses and was picked off 16 times.
A day after Utah’s 20-19 loss to Arizona State on Nov. 9, Wilson experienced concussion-like symptoms that eventually led to neurological tests revealing what appeared to be a previous injury to an intracranial artery.
“We do not believe it is life threatening and there is a possibility he could play football in the future if it remains stable,” Petron said at the time. “It will be further evaluated with follow-up testing in approximately three months.”
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- 2016 NFL draft: Utah's Devontae Booker...
- Guest commentary: BYU football and basketball...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 19
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12