, Kylea Knecht, Kylea Knecht/BYU
PROVO — The BYU football program announced its upcoming 2014 schedule Monday night live on BYUtv. The 12-game independent slate features teams from 10 states and seven conferences, including the American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Pac-12, Conference USA, Mountain West and Mid-Eastern Athletic.
“I’m pleased with the way this schedule came together. I think it has good balance,” said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. “I like playing in different regions of the country, including several places we’ve never been. It’s a unique opportunity for our football team and great for Cougar Nation.”
The Cougars will open the season against Connecticut on the road Aug. 29, which will be a Friday game nationally televised on ESPN. The season will conclude Nov. 29 with a game at Cal.
In between those two contests are six home games and four more road games against opponents stretching from the East Coast to the West. BYU will face teams that hail from Connecticut, Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Idaho, Nevada and California, including seven programs — Texas, Houston, Utah State, Central Florida, Boise State, Middle Tennessee and UNLV — that qualified for a bowl game last season.
BYU’s home opener at LaVell Edwards Stadium will take place on Thursday, Sept. 11, when the Houston Cougars of the AAC make their first visit to Provo for a nationally televised matchup on ESPN. BYU and Houston met for the first time last season in a memorable 47-46 BYU win at Reliant Stadium in Houston.
2014 BYU football schedule
Aug. 29 at Connecticut (ESPN)
Sept. 6 at Texas
Sept. 11 Houston (ESPN)
Sept. 20 Virginia
Sept. 27 BYE
Oct. 3 Utah State
Oct. 11 at Central Florida
Oct. 18 Nevada
Oct. 25 at Boise State
Nov. 1 at Middle Tennessee
Nov. 8 BYE
Nov. 15 UNLV
Nov. 22 Savannah State
Nov. 29 at California
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 37
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 35
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23