, Kylea Knecht, Kylea Knecht/BYU
PROVO — The BYU football program announced its upcoming 2014 schedule Monday night live on BYUtv. The 12-game independent slate features teams from 10 states and seven conferences, including the American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Pac-12, Conference USA, Mountain West and Mid-Eastern Athletic.
“I’m pleased with the way this schedule came together. I think it has good balance,” said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. “I like playing in different regions of the country, including several places we’ve never been. It’s a unique opportunity for our football team and great for Cougar Nation.”
The Cougars will open the season against Connecticut on the road Aug. 29, which will be a Friday game nationally televised on ESPN. The season will conclude Nov. 29 with a game at Cal.
In between those two contests are six home games and four more road games against opponents stretching from the East Coast to the West. BYU will face teams that hail from Connecticut, Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Idaho, Nevada and California, including seven programs — Texas, Houston, Utah State, Central Florida, Boise State, Middle Tennessee and UNLV — that qualified for a bowl game last season.
BYU’s home opener at LaVell Edwards Stadium will take place on Thursday, Sept. 11, when the Houston Cougars of the AAC make their first visit to Provo for a nationally televised matchup on ESPN. BYU and Houston met for the first time last season in a memorable 47-46 BYU win at Reliant Stadium in Houston.
2014 BYU football schedule
Aug. 29 at Connecticut (ESPN)
Sept. 6 at Texas
Sept. 11 Houston (ESPN)
Sept. 20 Virginia
Sept. 27 BYE
Oct. 3 Utah State
Oct. 11 at Central Florida
Oct. 18 Nevada
Oct. 25 at Boise State
Nov. 1 at Middle Tennessee
Nov. 8 BYE
Nov. 15 UNLV
Nov. 22 Savannah State
Nov. 29 at California
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 66
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27