Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah defensive lineman Moana Ofahengaue suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident Sunday night. University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed in a media release that the former Westlake High School star, a redshirt freshman, was in critical condition.
Wilets said that family members are “extremely optimistic about his recovery” and wanted to “express their gratitude for all the support that have received.”
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement as well.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Moana and his family during this very difficult time,” Whittingham said. “He is a beloved member of our team and we will support him in his recovery in any way we can.”
Ofahengaue’s father Tevita played for BYU from 1997-2000 and his uncle is Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24