Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah defensive lineman Moana Ofahengaue suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident Sunday night. University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed in a media release that the former Westlake High School star, a redshirt freshman, was in critical condition.
Wilets said that family members are “extremely optimistic about his recovery” and wanted to “express their gratitude for all the support that have received.”
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement as well.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Moana and his family during this very difficult time,” Whittingham said. “He is a beloved member of our team and we will support him in his recovery in any way we can.”
Ofahengaue’s father Tevita played for BYU from 1997-2000 and his uncle is Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 68
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28