Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah defensive lineman Moana Ofahengaue suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident Sunday night. University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed in a media release that the former Westlake High School star, a redshirt freshman, was in critical condition.
Wilets said that family members are “extremely optimistic about his recovery” and wanted to “express their gratitude for all the support that have received.”
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement as well.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Moana and his family during this very difficult time,” Whittingham said. “He is a beloved member of our team and we will support him in his recovery in any way we can.”
Ofahengaue’s father Tevita played for BYU from 1997-2000 and his uncle is Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26