Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah defensive lineman Moana Ofahengaue suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident Sunday night. University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed in a media release that the former Westlake High School star, a redshirt freshman, was in critical condition.
Wilets said that family members are “extremely optimistic about his recovery” and wanted to “express their gratitude for all the support that have received.”
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement as well.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Moana and his family during this very difficult time,” Whittingham said. “He is a beloved member of our team and we will support him in his recovery in any way we can.”
Ofahengaue’s father Tevita played for BYU from 1997-2000 and his uncle is Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 66
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44