Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah defensive lineman Moana Ofahengaue suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident Sunday night. University of Utah Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Wilets confirmed in a media release that the former Westlake High School star, a redshirt freshman, was in critical condition.
Wilets said that family members are “extremely optimistic about his recovery” and wanted to “express their gratitude for all the support that have received.”
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement as well.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Moana and his family during this very difficult time,” Whittingham said. “He is a beloved member of our team and we will support him in his recovery in any way we can.”
Ofahengaue’s father Tevita played for BYU from 1997-2000 and his uncle is Utah defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- U. student government passes resolution... 95
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19