Two LDS missionaries heading home after family dies from CO poisoning
"The blessing of being a member of the church is that we know families can be together forever," Craig Parrish said. "Elder Parrish and Sister Parrish know that. They've been out teaching it as Mormon missionaries. They know their parents were sealed in the temple and that means they are sealed to their parents and their brothers forever. At the end of the day, it does make a difference."
A local LDS Church leader, stake President Scott Barfuss, said in a statement released Monday afternoon, "We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of the family members of two of the church’s full-time missionaries. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to these missionaries and their entire family as they mourn this tragic loss."
Carbon monoxide, or CO, has been called "the silent killer" because humans cannot see, taste or smell it, the USFA warns. CO poisoning can be caused by faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or cars left running in enclosed spaces.
Police are examining the natural gas appliances in the Parrish home to see if any malfunctioned, according to the AP.
Bill Parrish was a dentist on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation. Both he and Ross, who went by Cathi as a child, were alumni of Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho), BYU and Idaho State University.
CO poisoning claimed several lives and sickened large numbers of Americans in incidents over the weekend.
Twin 80-year-old brothers, William and Walter Schofield, died after working on a car together in an enclosed garage in Chehalis, Wash., on Sunday, according to KOMONews.com.
A restaurant manager died, one of his employees remained hospitalized and 26 others were treated and released after inhaling carbon monoxide at Walt Whitman Shops, a Long Island mall, on Saturday night, CNN reported. A leak was found in the flue pipe of a water heater.
Fire officials in Blount County, Tenn., found high levels of carbon monoxide in a home where a 58-year-old woman and her dog died on Saturday, according to KnoxNews.com.
A dozen people and a police officer trying to rescue them suffered CO poisoning in Arcadia, Wis., on Sunday afternoon. The group, which included seven adults and five children, was using a charcoal grill inside the house to keep warm, the Pioneer Press reported.
The USFA listed symptoms of CO poisoning as headache, nausea and drowsiness.
Precautions against CO poisoning can include the use of a CO alarm, regular clearing of vents and annual professional inspections of appliances. Cars should be removed from garages immediately after they are started. Grills should not be used inside homes for heating.
- El Paso evangelist sets up drive-thru prayer...
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility...
- Former NFL star Tim Tebow issues a challenge...
- Actress and producer behind 'Ben-Hur' has a...
- Ogden Days Devotional: 'We honor our pioneer...
- Franklin Graham reacts to 'God's Not Dead 2'...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 47
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 22
- LDS Church missionaries in Russia now... 20
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 20
- Franklin Graham reacts to 'God's Not... 14
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13