John McEnroe, Pete Sampras to play Tuesday at EnergySolutions Arena
Andrew Brownbill, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — Some of the best talent the tennis world has ever seen will be on display Tuesday night at EnergySolutions Arena.
Pete Sampras, who has won the second-most Grand Slam title singles events in history, will be joined by legend John McEnroe, Jim Courier and James Blake for the PowerShare Series Champions Challenge.
The four players will square off in one-set matches at 7 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. with Sampras playing McEnroe and Courier meeting Blake, with the winners playing in the finals at 8:30 p.m.
The PowerShare Series features 11 former top tennis stars in a 12-city tour of one-night tournaments in February and March and the players trade off playing in the various venues.
Salt Lake is the seventh stop on the tour, which was most recently played in Denver and Houston.
McEnroe just turned 55, but he has done very well against his younger opponents. The three-time Wimbledon and four-time U.S. Open champion leads the series this year with 1,200 points, followed by Courier with 900 and Andy Roddick with 500.
Part of the reason for his lead is that McEnroe is playing in more events than the other 10 players on the circuit. But he is holding his own with the younger players, having won the opening event in Kansas City and two weeks ago in Indianapolis. He also finished second in Oklahoma City and at Birmingham, Ala., where he lost to Roddick 7-5 in the finals.
For the 42-year-old Sampras, this will mark his 2014 debut in the PowerShare Series. Courier, 43, won four Grand Slam events and was the world’s No. 1 player in 1992 and played on two winning Davis Cup teams for the United States.
The 34-year-old Blake, who played competitively in world competition until last year, won 17 career titles and was the No. 1 ranking American in 2006 and was a member of the winning U.S. Davis Cup team.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26