Morgan Hill California Stake President Steven C. Merrill invited members of his Rotary Club to join. Many immediately accepted his invitation. “The response from the community was great,” he said.
Meanwhile, President Robert L. Davis, who presides over the Laguna Niguel California Stake, delivered letters to local clergy members inviting them and their congregants to join with Latter-day Saints “in a special fast and day of prayer to petition the heavens for moisture.”
Such prayerful unity “was a great experience,” he said.
Menlo Park California Stake President Dow Wilson commented on the remarkable spirit that could be felt on the day of the special fast as folks of all backgrounds joined in prayer and asked their Heavenly Father for the blessing of rain.
“There was a great sense [of] purpose felt between the Latter-day Saints and the rest of our community,” he said.
Elder W. Mark Bassett, an Area Seventy who lives near Sacramento, shared a sentiment offered by many local priesthood leaders: the blessings of the special fast extend far beyond rainfall and reservoir levels.
Elder Bassett began his fast by kneeling in prayer with his two young sons. The rain began to fall a short time later — and each of the Bassett boys witnessed, firsthand, the power of fasting and prayer.
Rainfall may have been the desired result of the day. “But the reality of the miracle,” said Elder Bassett, “is that our Heavenly Father listens to His people.”
- President Boyd K. Packer passes away at age 90
- 2015 Seminar for New Mission Presidents: The...
- North Dakota Young Mother of the Year: 'Sweet...
- President Monson: Love for missionary work
- Missing returned missionary remembered fondly
- Choir and orchestra thrill audiences in...
- Elder Russell M. Nelson: 'Epistles of the Lord'
- Tabernacle Choir returns to Carnegie Hall for...