Utah Sports Ruckus: Anson Winder's patience has paid off for BYU; is Jimmer Fredette a cursed Miley Cyrus fan?
The biggest disappointments of the games for the U.S. were probably the failures to medal in speedskating, individual figure skating and men's hockey. Apparently we Americans need to spend more time on the ice.
Finally, the NBA trade deadline was a major bust, particularly for fans in Utah that wanted to see Jimmer Fredette freed from the disaster that is the Sacramento Kings.
How bad is Jimmer’s situation in Sacramento? After scoring a career-high 24 points and hitting 6-of-8 threes to help the Kings win in New York on Feb. 12, Fredette subsequently played just four minutes versus Golden State and then did not play at all versus Boston.
The only explanation is that the Kings know Fredette is bolting in the offseason as fast as humanly possible and so, now that the trade deadline has passed, they no longer have any reason to play him.
What we know for certain is that Jimmer being drafted by Sacramento proves once and for all that Austin Collie’s philosophy that sports magic happens when you are living right is totally bogus. Either that, or Jimmer is secretly a Miley Cyrus fan, in which case the basketball gods would be fully justified in sending him to the Oakland Raiders of the NBA.
Here’s hoping he ends up with a team next season that can take advantage of his strengths and, more importantly, that he is not a Miley Cyrus fan.
Nate Gagon is the author of the weekly sports column, Utah Sports Ruckus, and a contributor for the Deseret News. He is also a tech/media entrepreneur, shoots roughly 94% from the foul line, and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35