Utah's desert bighorn sheep make steady recovery
What began as 12 sheep in 1973 now a healthy herd of 500
Schaible says transplants are a "calculated risk," but keeping relocations as close as possible to the source herd helps to minimize that risk.
If Zion's bighorn management proposal is approved, areas near the San Juan River, Nokai Dome and Pine Valley would be considered as possible locations for transplants, Schaible said.
The park's almost 3 million annual visitors need not worry about fewer opportunities to observe wildlife if desert bighorn are removed, Armstrong said.
"A periodic management plan to remove animals and place them elsewhere is not going to adversely affect wildlife observing for visitors," he said.
As a cooperative effort between Zion National Park and DWR, the management plan would be mutually funded. The majority of the funding, however, would come from the division's conservation permit program — a program that auctions hunting permits to members of sporting organizations and allocates the proceeds to wildlife conservation projects, Schaible said.
Monello said the proposal, as with all bighorn management plans, will consider the benefits and risks associated with the herd size before a management plan is implemented.
"No decisions have been made, and the plan will consider a variety of methods for managing disease," he said. "However, on the whole, trap-and-transplant programs with bighorn sheep have been highly successful over the last several decades at re-establishing bighorn throughout their range."
The National Park Service will conduct an environmental assessment of the proposed plan and is open to public comment until March 19.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9