BYU softball could not overcome the strong pitching and hitting of No. 2/3 Washington as it fell 8-0 in the final game of the Mary Nutter Classic on Saturday.
"Washington is a great program and has a great team this year," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "We came out and fought hard, but with a limited roster again this week we were outmatched."
Lacey Millett-Hofstedt’s single and doubles from Lauren Bell and Ashlee Robinson were the only hits for BYU (6-9) off last week’s NFCA National Player of the Week Bryanna Walker of Washington (13-2).
The Cougars threatened early, loading the bases in the top of the first with a single from Millett-Hofstedt after two batters were hit by pitches, but they were unable to cross a runner. Washington answered loading the bases in the bottom of the frame and scored one, but McKenna Bull (1-5) forced two grounders to get out of the inning.
After both teams retired the sides in the second, Bell doubled to lead off the third. However, Washington worked out of the inning, getting outs over the next three batters. The Huskies loaded the bases in the bottom of the third and hit four straight singles to score six runs to give them the 7-0 lead.
Carly Duckworth came in for Bull in the bottom of fourth and allowed only one base runner and kept the score 7-0 going into the fifth.
Robinson doubled for the Cougars in the top of the fifth, but the Cougars couldn’t advance her any further. Washington loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth and used a single to cross the next run.
BYU heads to the San Diego Classic next week starting with Thursday’s games against No. 2/3 Tennessee at 1 p.m. PST and San Diego State at 3:30 p.m. PST.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 39
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's... 31