BYU softball could not overcome the strong pitching and hitting of No. 2/3 Washington as it fell 8-0 in the final game of the Mary Nutter Classic on Saturday.
"Washington is a great program and has a great team this year," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "We came out and fought hard, but with a limited roster again this week we were outmatched."
Lacey Millett-Hofstedt’s single and doubles from Lauren Bell and Ashlee Robinson were the only hits for BYU (6-9) off last week’s NFCA National Player of the Week Bryanna Walker of Washington (13-2).
The Cougars threatened early, loading the bases in the top of the first with a single from Millett-Hofstedt after two batters were hit by pitches, but they were unable to cross a runner. Washington answered loading the bases in the bottom of the frame and scored one, but McKenna Bull (1-5) forced two grounders to get out of the inning.
After both teams retired the sides in the second, Bell doubled to lead off the third. However, Washington worked out of the inning, getting outs over the next three batters. The Huskies loaded the bases in the bottom of the third and hit four straight singles to score six runs to give them the 7-0 lead.
Carly Duckworth came in for Bull in the bottom of fourth and allowed only one base runner and kept the score 7-0 going into the fifth.
Robinson doubled for the Cougars in the top of the fifth, but the Cougars couldn’t advance her any further. Washington loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth and used a single to cross the next run.
BYU heads to the San Diego Classic next week starting with Thursday’s games against No. 2/3 Tennessee at 1 p.m. PST and San Diego State at 3:30 p.m. PST.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Morning links: National college football...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU wide receiver Cody Hoffman rejoins...
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat about this...
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's open to...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5