BYU basketball: Cougar guard Matt Carlino finishes one 3-pointer shy of single-game school record
Carlino finished with a career-high eight 3s, and late in the Cougars' 89-72 whipping of the Pilots at the Marriott Center, he had a chance to tie Fredette’s record of nine.
But the shot didn’t go down.
“I would have made it if I would have known,” Carlino joked.
Carlino hit 8 of 13 attempts from 3-point territory against Portland.
Fredette’s record of nine 3s (9 of 13) came at Arizona in 2009.
Still, Carlino is in good company.
Only one other Cougar has made eight 3-pointers in a single game — that was Mike Rose, who did it twice, in 2003 and 2007. Fredette made seven in a game three times, while Nick Sanderson (1992) and Danny Bower (1997) also connected on seven 3s in a game.
How big did the basket look to Carlino Saturday night?
“It was pretty big,” Carlino said. “It was fun.”
In the first half, Carlino drilled three consecutive 3-pointers that propelled the Cougars to a 33-16 lead. Then, with less than 30 seconds remaining in the half, he buried another.
“Matt understands that when he feels good about his shot, and he’s open, he’s free to shoot that shot,” said coach Dave Rose.
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 98
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5