BYU basketball: Cougar guard Matt Carlino finishes one 3-pointer shy of single-game school record
Carlino finished with a career-high eight 3s, and late in the Cougars' 89-72 whipping of the Pilots at the Marriott Center, he had a chance to tie Fredette’s record of nine.
But the shot didn’t go down.
“I would have made it if I would have known,” Carlino joked.
Carlino hit 8 of 13 attempts from 3-point territory against Portland.
Fredette’s record of nine 3s (9 of 13) came at Arizona in 2009.
Still, Carlino is in good company.
Only one other Cougar has made eight 3-pointers in a single game — that was Mike Rose, who did it twice, in 2003 and 2007. Fredette made seven in a game three times, while Nick Sanderson (1992) and Danny Bower (1997) also connected on seven 3s in a game.
How big did the basket look to Carlino Saturday night?
“It was pretty big,” Carlino said. “It was fun.”
In the first half, Carlino drilled three consecutive 3-pointers that propelled the Cougars to a 33-16 lead. Then, with less than 30 seconds remaining in the half, he buried another.
“Matt understands that when he feels good about his shot, and he’s open, he’s free to shoot that shot,” said coach Dave Rose.
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Jazz notebook: Olivier Hanlan participates...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 93
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 23