BYU basketball: Cougar guard Matt Carlino finishes one 3-pointer shy of single-game school record
Carlino finished with a career-high eight 3s, and late in the Cougars' 89-72 whipping of the Pilots at the Marriott Center, he had a chance to tie Fredette’s record of nine.
But the shot didn’t go down.
“I would have made it if I would have known,” Carlino joked.
Carlino hit 8 of 13 attempts from 3-point territory against Portland.
Fredette’s record of nine 3s (9 of 13) came at Arizona in 2009.
Still, Carlino is in good company.
Only one other Cougar has made eight 3-pointers in a single game — that was Mike Rose, who did it twice, in 2003 and 2007. Fredette made seven in a game three times, while Nick Sanderson (1992) and Danny Bower (1997) also connected on seven 3s in a game.
How big did the basket look to Carlino Saturday night?
“It was pretty big,” Carlino said. “It was fun.”
In the first half, Carlino drilled three consecutive 3-pointers that propelled the Cougars to a 33-16 lead. Then, with less than 30 seconds remaining in the half, he buried another.
“Matt understands that when he feels good about his shot, and he’s open, he’s free to shoot that shot,” said coach Dave Rose.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Penguins top Lightning 2-1 to advance to...
- Defending champion Warriors stave off...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading...
- The last tackle powder puff football game...
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 56
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU... 43
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 42
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 35
- Dick Harmon: With historic hoops... 24
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 20
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to... 20