Utah Jazz: No Derrick Favors again, but T-Wolves also missing key players
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz won't have Derrick Favors in uniform again tonight against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
The Jazz do catch a break, however, because the T-Wolves will also be shorthanded, as center Nikola Pekovic (ankle), guard Kevin Martin (thumb) and backup big man Ronny Turiaf (knee) will be sidelined as well.
The Jazz have lost both games coming out of the All-Star break without Favors in the lineup. He continues to nurse a right hip sprain, which has hampered him for more than a month now.
Utah (19-35) is 0-8 without the starting center in the lineup this season, including Friday night’s 102-94 loss at Portland.
The Jazz will again go with a starting lineup that includes Trey Burke, Gordon Hayward, Richard Jefferson, Marvin Williams and Enes Kanter. That unit is 0-5 when it starts together.
Minnesota will start All-Star power forward Kevin Love at center, which will present a challenge because of his ability to stretch the floor.
This is the first of three straight home games for the Jazz.
Minnesota (26-28) is beginning a five-game road trip. The T-Wolves have beaten Utah in both meetings this season, including a 112-97 win at EnergySolutions Arena on Jan. 21 and a 98-72 victory at Target Center on Jan. 18.
In those two T-Wolves wins, Pekovic averaged 22.5 points and 11.5 rebounds, while Martin put up an average of 19 points.
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20