High school basketball: Olympus forced to forfeit 4 games, drops to 3rd in Region 7
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Things have quickly gone from bad to worse for Olympus’ boys basketball team.
In a week, the Titans lost home games to both Mountain View and Orem and they also found out they will be forced to forfeit four Region 7 victories for using an ineligible player.
“I’ve been there 17 years and I’m always on top of the grades and track it like no other. But I had a kid slip through the cracks. I wasn’t even worried about this kid,” said Olympus coach Matt Barnes. “It’s my mistake.”
Olympus now finishes Region 7 with a 6-6 record and is locked into the No. 3 seed for the playoffs despite forfeiting wins over Skyline, Corner Canyon, Timpanogos and Murray from Feb. 4-14.
Olympus’ ineligible player only played a handful of minutes late in each of those four games, but the UHSAA rules for using an ineligible player are very straightforward these days.
“With all the fiasco that’s gone on with East (football) and the others the past couple of years, it’s kind of zero tolerance,” said Barnes. “We accept the consequences and penalties and we’ll just get ready for next week and see where it goes.”
Barnes first learned about the situation on Wednesday afternoon, and confirmed it with his administrators on Thursday. It was a tough pill to swallow for a team that began the week seeking a perfect region season.
“It’s a bummer for my kids, especially since the kid had no bearing on what took place during the season,” said Barnes.
Olympus will now face either Sky View or Logan in the first round of the state tournament at the University of Utah on Monday, March 3, at 4 p.m.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 42
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 25
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 24
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20