Ravell Call, Deseret News
BEAVER DAM, Box Elder County — A fire sparked while woodworking burned a shop to the ground and damaged a nearby home Friday.
The fire erupted when a resident at the home near 15000 North and 400 West was attempting a laser etching on a piece of wood, causing a "flame out," said Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton. The thin piece of wood caught fire and spread rapidly.
"They stepped into the house to check on something and came back and it was going," Barton said. "Our first priority, because of the damage to the shed, was keeping the house from burning."
Five fire departments — Fielding, Garland, Plymouth, Mendon and Wellsville — kept the blaze from spreading to the house, Barton said. Between the destroyed shop, its contents and siding that melted on the house, the fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.
The shop, an at-home business called Country Etching, was full of thin, dry birch wood, wood finish, propane tanks and tools, Barton said.
No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire is listed as accidental, Barton said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 50
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Utah denies proposed ballot initiative... 10