High school girls basketball: Last second 3-pointer lifts South Summit over Beaver
Tom Smart, Deseret News
With just 2.3 seconds remaining on the clock, Rydalch's corner 3-point attempt found the bottom of the net to give the Wildcats a 31-30 win over Beaver
"It was obviously an enormous shot for her and for the team," said South Summit coach Jerry Parker. "She came through for us big time."
The Wildcats led late, 28-27, before committing a turnover with just less than a minute remaining. Parker called a timeout after the miscue and gave his team specific instructions.
"I told them that no matter what happens on the next possession that we weren't calling a timeout. We were going," he said.
What happened on the next possession was a 3-point basket from Beaver's Schyler Jordan to put her team up 30-28 with just more than 12 seconds left on the clock.
South Summit struggled to get the ball up the court and had a hard time finding an opening before Rydalch broke free from the corner. With a defender coming at her she calmly sank the shot to lift her team into the second round.
"Rachel hadn't hit a shot since the first quarter, but she's always someone who steps up when we needed it and we sure needed it there," Parker said.
South Summit was led on the afternoon by Alisha Lewis, who scored a team-high 10 points. Beaver was led by Jordan and her game-high 11 points.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48