High school girls basketball: Last second 3-pointer lifts South Summit over Beaver
Tom Smart, Deseret News
With just 2.3 seconds remaining on the clock, Rydalch's corner 3-point attempt found the bottom of the net to give the Wildcats a 31-30 win over Beaver
"It was obviously an enormous shot for her and for the team," said South Summit coach Jerry Parker. "She came through for us big time."
The Wildcats led late, 28-27, before committing a turnover with just less than a minute remaining. Parker called a timeout after the miscue and gave his team specific instructions.
"I told them that no matter what happens on the next possession that we weren't calling a timeout. We were going," he said.
What happened on the next possession was a 3-point basket from Beaver's Schyler Jordan to put her team up 30-28 with just more than 12 seconds left on the clock.
South Summit struggled to get the ball up the court and had a hard time finding an opening before Rydalch broke free from the corner. With a defender coming at her she calmly sank the shot to lift her team into the second round.
"Rachel hadn't hit a shot since the first quarter, but she's always someone who steps up when we needed it and we sure needed it there," Parker said.
South Summit was led on the afternoon by Alisha Lewis, who scored a team-high 10 points. Beaver was led by Jordan and her game-high 11 points.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30