High school girls basketball: Last second 3-pointer lifts South Summit over Beaver
Tom Smart, Deseret News
With just 2.3 seconds remaining on the clock, Rydalch's corner 3-point attempt found the bottom of the net to give the Wildcats a 31-30 win over Beaver
"It was obviously an enormous shot for her and for the team," said South Summit coach Jerry Parker. "She came through for us big time."
The Wildcats led late, 28-27, before committing a turnover with just less than a minute remaining. Parker called a timeout after the miscue and gave his team specific instructions.
"I told them that no matter what happens on the next possession that we weren't calling a timeout. We were going," he said.
What happened on the next possession was a 3-point basket from Beaver's Schyler Jordan to put her team up 30-28 with just more than 12 seconds left on the clock.
South Summit struggled to get the ball up the court and had a hard time finding an opening before Rydalch broke free from the corner. With a defender coming at her she calmly sank the shot to lift her team into the second round.
"Rachel hadn't hit a shot since the first quarter, but she's always someone who steps up when we needed it and we sure needed it there," Parker said.
South Summit was led on the afternoon by Alisha Lewis, who scored a team-high 10 points. Beaver was led by Jordan and her game-high 11 points.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 88
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 55
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 12