Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Three well-dressed people, including one who was wearing a mask of an elderly person, robbed a jewelry store Friday, police said.
About 1:20 p.m., officers received a 911 call from the Jeweler's Guild, 703 E. 600 South. Employees told police that three men had entered the store and robbed them.
"All of them are well dressed. But one of the individuals is well dressed and wearing a mask like an old man's mask," said Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy. "He had kind of like a suit and coat on. He was described a very well dressed."
The other two were wearing something similar to transparent stockings over their heads, he said. Witnesses said they believe all three robbers were men.
The masked man fired two rounds from a gun into the floor. There were two employees and no customers in the building at the time, Lougy said. No one was injured during the confrontation.
Police did not immediately release Friday what was taken or if the suspected robbers said anything.
The trio ran past several witnesses outside the store and jumped into a gray minivan, Lougy said. The jewel thieves turned right onto 700 East, then turned right at 500 South, before taking a right onto 800 East, Lougy said.
Detectives were reviewing surveillance video Friday to gather additional clues.
There was no immediate evidence to indicate that the robbery is tied to any other recent incidents, he said.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call police at 801-799-3000.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Judge: Disclosing promises to witnesses...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22