The biggest loser: What happened to SUU's men's basketball program and how it will try to bounce back
While the season has been a disappointment, Robinson said he's been pleased that his team has shown no plans to quit on the season.
“Whether your team is playing for a championship or whether your team is at the bottom of the standings, from a coaches’ perspective, you want to take every single game and every single day one at a time,” he said. “We’ve really tried to focus on that because regardless of where you are in the standings, you want to play your best basketball at the end of the year. The only way of accomplishing that is improving every day.”
Rebuilding for the future
Within the ashes of this season is hope for the future.
Four of the team’s five leading scorers are returning underclassmen and Robinson hopes his incoming freshmen class, led by three-star recruit Tyler Rawson (American Fork High School), will help rebuild a program that hasn’t made the NCAA tournament since its lone appearance in 2001.
“We have plenty of leaders in the making,” Robinson said. “It’s just going to take some experience and a little bit of time for those to pan out like we want them to.”
Pomeroy said he thinks the T-Birds aren’t too far away from an improved team as well, noting they are about “a player or two away” from fixing the issues that have plagued SUU throughout this season.
Robinson said he anticipates he’ll never have to relive this past season again.
“I’m extremely optimistic for the future of this basketball program and we’re building, recruiting, practicing and competing all toward having a bright future,” he said. “With the young guys gaining experience this year and the recruits coming in next year’s, I’m optimistic that we’ll continue to get better and continue to compete at a very high level.”
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 94
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 25
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21