Utah basketball: Utes get back to work after overtime loss to No. 4 Arizona
“The focal point we had all week was rebounding and making some plays against the best defensive team in our league, which was really good,” Krystkowiak said before noting that a couple of bad stretches overshadowed the good ones.
Utah held a couple of early five-point advantages before Arizona reeled off 14 straight points en route to building a 35-26 halftime lead. The Wildcats remained in front until the Utes took a pair of one-point leads in the final 3:40 of regulation.
Utah never led in overtime.
“Of course it hurts. But there’s nothing you can really do. You can’t go back or anything. So I think our mindset is just trying to win the next one,” Loveridge said. “That’s what our mindset has always been — if you have a tough game, win or lose — just try to worry about the next one.”
The Utes host Arizona State (19-7, 8-5) Sunday night at 6. The Sun Devils are coming off a 61-52 loss at Colorado on Wednesday.
When Utah returns to action, Krytskowiak isn’t worried about young players like Loveridge and Taylor shaking off disappointing performances against Arizona. Being able to bounce back, he said, is part of growing up.
“Fresh off of the stuff last night, guys might be feeling like they’re down. But for me it’s no different than if we won,” Krystkowiak said. “It’s really about the process and the journey of trying to get better. I like to believe we’re going to keep getting better.”
Krystkowiak sees no need for psychotherapy. He says it’s all about getting back in the saddle of trying again.
“This is not the ‘feel sorry for yourself’ time of year, really. And it’s not that I expect these guys to get through it on their own because I’ll share some thoughts with them,” Krystkowiak said. “But for the most part, it’s not paralysis by analysis. What we have in front of us is pretty easy to try to improve on.”
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19