Men's tennis: Cougars face Utes in Deseret First Duel rivalry match
In the annual Deseret First Duel, No. 70 BYU men’s tennis will face in-state foe Utah on Saturday at 5 p.m. MST at the Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City.
“We only have two players in our current lineup that have been a part of our domination over Utah the last four years, the rest are true freshmen,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We also lost a key player due to injury in Juan Canales, so this year we're clearly the underdogs. However, it doesn't mean we're not dangerous. We'll be ready to rumble.”
With their last loss against Utah coming in 2009, the Cougars (5-6) hope to continue their win streak against the Utes (8-2). Utah leads the all-time series 57-49.
No. 91 Francis Sargeant leads the Cougars at the first singles slot with a 9-1 record this season, including wins against three nationally-ranked opponents. The captain has also worked his way into the all-time top 10 in singles winning percentage at BYU with a career record of 74-30 (.712).
Live scoring for the match will be available on the Utah athletics website.
Next, the Cougars return home to take on Idaho on March 1 at 5:30 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 98
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24