Men's tennis: Cougars face Utes in Deseret First Duel rivalry match
In the annual Deseret First Duel, No. 70 BYU men’s tennis will face in-state foe Utah on Saturday at 5 p.m. MST at the Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City.
“We only have two players in our current lineup that have been a part of our domination over Utah the last four years, the rest are true freshmen,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “We also lost a key player due to injury in Juan Canales, so this year we're clearly the underdogs. However, it doesn't mean we're not dangerous. We'll be ready to rumble.”
With their last loss against Utah coming in 2009, the Cougars (5-6) hope to continue their win streak against the Utes (8-2). Utah leads the all-time series 57-49.
No. 91 Francis Sargeant leads the Cougars at the first singles slot with a 9-1 record this season, including wins against three nationally-ranked opponents. The captain has also worked his way into the all-time top 10 in singles winning percentage at BYU with a career record of 74-30 (.712).
Live scoring for the match will be available on the Utah athletics website.
Next, the Cougars return home to take on Idaho on March 1 at 5:30 p.m. MST.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 67
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 30
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27