Utah Grizzlies: Utah defeats the Idaho Steelheads on Wednesday
The Utah Grizzlies (25-19-3-5) defeated the Idaho Steelheads (27-18-2-3) on Wednesday night at Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies responded with the victory after their first home loss in 71 days on Monday. Grizzlies goaltender Igor Bobkov improved to 9-4-2-2 and to unbeaten in his last 10 starts in regulation going back to Nov. 30 as he stopped 26 of 27 shots.
“That was an important one for us,” Grizzlies head coach and General Manager Tim Branham said. “It was a big character win having the lead going into the third and hanging on against this team. I’m very proud of the boys. They played the right way, they did the right thing and they got rewarded for it.”
After a scoreless first period, Phil Mangan blasted home his ninth goal of the year on the power-play 1:44 into the second period with Mathieu Aubin and Vinny Scarsella drawing assists.
Idaho tied the game 1:26 later after drawing a power-play as the Grizzlies gave up just their second goal on their last 32 shorthanded situations.
Utah took the lead back and scored the eventual game-winner as Danick Paquette fed Scarsella on a two-on-one for his ninth goal of the year with 7:28 left in the second. Aubin drew another assist on the play.
“Paquette made a really really nice play and all I had to do was tap it in,” Scarsella said. “It was a big game. We’d dropped two in a row there. We knew we had to come out and play hard, be on our A-game and fortunately this came out on our favor.”
Bobkov made 10 saves in the third period, and Utah killed a penalty in the final five minutes to hold on for the win.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 33
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 29
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24