Utah Grizzlies: Utah defeats the Idaho Steelheads on Wednesday
The Utah Grizzlies (25-19-3-5) defeated the Idaho Steelheads (27-18-2-3) on Wednesday night at Maverik Center.
The Grizzlies responded with the victory after their first home loss in 71 days on Monday. Grizzlies goaltender Igor Bobkov improved to 9-4-2-2 and to unbeaten in his last 10 starts in regulation going back to Nov. 30 as he stopped 26 of 27 shots.
“That was an important one for us,” Grizzlies head coach and General Manager Tim Branham said. “It was a big character win having the lead going into the third and hanging on against this team. I’m very proud of the boys. They played the right way, they did the right thing and they got rewarded for it.”
After a scoreless first period, Phil Mangan blasted home his ninth goal of the year on the power-play 1:44 into the second period with Mathieu Aubin and Vinny Scarsella drawing assists.
Idaho tied the game 1:26 later after drawing a power-play as the Grizzlies gave up just their second goal on their last 32 shorthanded situations.
Utah took the lead back and scored the eventual game-winner as Danick Paquette fed Scarsella on a two-on-one for his ninth goal of the year with 7:28 left in the second. Aubin drew another assist on the play.
“Paquette made a really really nice play and all I had to do was tap it in,” Scarsella said. “It was a big game. We’d dropped two in a row there. We knew we had to come out and play hard, be on our A-game and fortunately this came out on our favor.”
Bobkov made 10 saves in the third period, and Utah killed a penalty in the final five minutes to hold on for the win.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16