“I thought defensively they were the aggressive team in the second half,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “They got their hands on us a little bit and got us out of our offense. We lost our rhythm there. They pushed us out on the floor a little more than we needed to be.”
Williams was on the court in pain on a couple of occasions in this one, including once late in the fourth quarter after getting inadvertently elbowed in the face by Jazz guard Alec Burks.
After writhing on the court in pain, though, Williams remained in the game and hit a big 3-pointer that gave the Nets a comfortable 99-89 lead with 2:11 left.
Williams finished with 19 points and seven assists for the Nets, who trailed 68-55 in the third quarter before turning it on.
“Being on the road against a team that’s playing extremely well, the defense got us back in the game and then our bench was big,” Nets coach Jason Kidd said. “Everybody chipped in to get this win tonight.”
Everybody remaining, that is.
While the Jazz were down a man in Favors, the Nets didn’t have explosive guard Jason Terry or backup forward Reggie Evans. The pair was traded earlier in the day to Sacramento in exchange for guard Marcus Thornton.
Kidd even hinted that Nets owner Mikahil Prokhorov might try to pull off something else before Thursday’s 1 p.m. trade deadline despite the team having a $100 million roster.
"He’s probably not done," Kidd said. "So we’ll see what happens."
The Jazz haven’t made a deal, but that’s certainly a possibility as the team looks to improve its roster for the future either by adding players or hauling in more draft picks.
For those keeping track at home, this point guard matchup of former and current Jazz point guards was an entertaining one. Williams finished with 19 points and seven assists, while Burke had 14 points and 10 assists in his fourth career double-double.
“They won the game,” Corbin said when asked about that playmaker duel. “They played better.”
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24