Senior Justin Keiley finished the first round in third place to lead the No. 30 BYU men's golf team to fourth place at the John Burns Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
"The first round went pretty well," BYU golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We started on the back nine and started with three birdies and an eagle. We got the ground going and I was really pleased with how the guys started off."
BYU finished 1-under-par through the first 18 holes trailing Arizona and No. 12 Texas A&M by two and one stroke, respectively. The Cougars had 16 birdies on the day.
Keiley completed the day at 4-under-par with six birdies, while Joe Parkinson tied for 10th at 1-under-par with four birdies on the day.
Stephen Archibald had three birdies to tie in 51st place at 3-over-par to complete day one.
West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Saint Mary's finished tied in ninth and 13th place, respectively. In first place was No. 4 California, which finished out the round at 10-under-par.
"Hopefully we can be a little more consistent," Brockbank said. "The guys played good for most of the day and did a really good job in the toughest holes, but we just made some silly mistakes. If we clean up our rounds, we'll have a chance to be competitive not only now but the rest of the year."
The Cougars return to the Wailua Golf Course on Thursday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. HST.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- BYU football media day: Live coverage
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: How well do you remember BYU's 1984...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Sitake making transition from longtime...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15