Senior Justin Keiley finished the first round in third place to lead the No. 30 BYU men's golf team to fourth place at the John Burns Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
"The first round went pretty well," BYU golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We started on the back nine and started with three birdies and an eagle. We got the ground going and I was really pleased with how the guys started off."
BYU finished 1-under-par through the first 18 holes trailing Arizona and No. 12 Texas A&M by two and one stroke, respectively. The Cougars had 16 birdies on the day.
Keiley completed the day at 4-under-par with six birdies, while Joe Parkinson tied for 10th at 1-under-par with four birdies on the day.
Stephen Archibald had three birdies to tie in 51st place at 3-over-par to complete day one.
West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Saint Mary's finished tied in ninth and 13th place, respectively. In first place was No. 4 California, which finished out the round at 10-under-par.
"Hopefully we can be a little more consistent," Brockbank said. "The guys played good for most of the day and did a really good job in the toughest holes, but we just made some silly mistakes. If we clean up our rounds, we'll have a chance to be competitive not only now but the rest of the year."
The Cougars return to the Wailua Golf Course on Thursday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. HST.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Utahns in baseball: Former Cougar Jeremy...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State... 18
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 16
- Judd: BYU football still fine-tuning... 15
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 15
- Will Kaufusi’s expected return... 14
- Former BYU QB Hall can avoid... 13