Senior Justin Keiley finished the first round in third place to lead the No. 30 BYU men's golf team to fourth place at the John Burns Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
"The first round went pretty well," BYU golf coach Bruce Brockbank said. "We started on the back nine and started with three birdies and an eagle. We got the ground going and I was really pleased with how the guys started off."
BYU finished 1-under-par through the first 18 holes trailing Arizona and No. 12 Texas A&M by two and one stroke, respectively. The Cougars had 16 birdies on the day.
Keiley completed the day at 4-under-par with six birdies, while Joe Parkinson tied for 10th at 1-under-par with four birdies on the day.
Stephen Archibald had three birdies to tie in 51st place at 3-over-par to complete day one.
West Coast Conference foes Pacific and Saint Mary's finished tied in ninth and 13th place, respectively. In first place was No. 4 California, which finished out the round at 10-under-par.
"Hopefully we can be a little more consistent," Brockbank said. "The guys played good for most of the day and did a really good job in the toughest holes, but we just made some silly mistakes. If we clean up our rounds, we'll have a chance to be competitive not only now but the rest of the year."
The Cougars return to the Wailua Golf Course on Thursday with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. HST.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Twitter reacts to Big 12 expansion developments
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down Big 12...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- College football countdown No. 43: BYU...
- Athlete's tribute: 'Show me a legend and...
- BYU volleyball: 10 Cougars named to WCC...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 78
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 32