Quaking aspen just needs governor's signature to become Utah's state tree
SALT LAKE CITY — All SB41 needs is Gov. Gary Herbert's signature and the quaking aspen will become Utah's state tree.
After both comical and scientific discussion, the House passed the bill Wednesday by a 54-19 vote to change the state tree from the blue spruce to the quaking aspen.
Earlier this week, Monroe Elementary School fourth-graders sat in the gallery as Sen. Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe, explained how the bill originated from the school. A fourth-grade class approached the governor with the idea when he was visiting Sevier County.
The Senate passed the bill Monday, so it now heads to the governor's office for a signature.
House sponsor Rep. Brad Wilson, R-Kaysville, presented the bill, calling it a "travesty" that Utah's state tree has been the blue spruce since 1933.
"The Colorado blue spruce makes up less than 1 percent of Utah’s forests and it is found only in northern Utah, so if you are from southern Utah or central Utah, you should be even more incensed by this travesty," Wilson quipped.
After regaining his composure, Wilson touted the quaking aspen for its importance to Utah.
"The aspen stems grow from roots of older trees," he said. "This creates a very important metaphor that we could connect to Utah as these children of the parents grow and are very prolific."
— Madeleine Brown
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 41
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 19
- New definition of homeless would give... 18