If there’s one area where Nintendo has been criticized most over the years, it’s in its failure to rally support from third-party developers. The Wii U hasn’t totally fixed that problem, but it’s definitely made steps in the right direction. That includes scoring a few exclusive titles that alone might justify the price of a new console.
Particularly, fans of role-playing games like the Final Fantasy series should keep an eye out for “X,” the new title from Japanese developer Monolith Soft.
Monolith Soft’s last effort, a Wii exclusive called “Xenoblade Chronicles,” has become one of the most sought-after games of the last console cycle. Used copies routinely fetch around $100 on eBay. Although not a whole lot is known about “X,” it’s believed to be a spiritual successor to “Xenoblade Chronicles,” and it allows players to control giant robots called “dolls.”
The Wii U eShop will also be getting some downloadable exclusives worth checking out such as “Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails” (a top-down, on-rails shooter), a futuristic racer called “FAST Racing NEO” (from popular indie developer Shin’en), “Tengami” (a puzzle-based adventure story set in feudal Japan and done in the style of a popup book) and, as a timed exclusive (meaning, a title that will come out first on the Wii U before eventually showing up on other consoles), a platformer/puzzler hybrid called “Armillo.”
DS Virtual Console
Last but not least, during the company’s recent third quarter financial results briefing as reported by IGN, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed one more thing to get excited about in 2014: A future update to the Wii U Virtual Console will add titles from Nintendo’s extensive back catalog of DS games.
No specifics have been announced yet, but with so many software options to choose from, including installments in popular franchises like Castlevania, Pokémon and many of the ones already mentioned here (Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.), this could prove to be a huge draw for families looking for more gaming options.
A native of Utah Valley and a devoted cinephile, Jeff Peterson is currently studying humanities and history at Brigham Young University.
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 36
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6