What do I want in an educational experience for my children?
I want good teaching, involved and supportive parents as well as legislative support, without strings attached, of our public schools.
I want teachers who facilitate thinking, engage minds, listen to questions and promote critical thought but are not in fear for their jobs if they don’t walk in lock step with the school or district. I want a system that encourages healthy risk-taking and supports kids who struggle. I want a system of educators, parents, principals, superintendents, legislators and patrons who learn every day and encourage others to do the same.
Standardized tests are nothing more than the ability for us to measure what information a child can regurgitate at a given time during their educational career — nothing more and nothing less. They are a horrible measure of student performance and capability.
One of my friends grew up in a country that has better national scores than we do and in Jr. High was told that he wasn’t smart enough to be anything but a bricklayer. He has a doctorate and is brilliant.
The next Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison will not be successful because he or she tested high on an exam, but rather because they had parents, teachers, and a community that cultivates dreams.
It is time to stop using education as a political football. Let teachers teach and kids achieve.
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35