Being part of the 5 percent of the people purchasing their own health care, I would like to share our experience with the Affordable Care Act (ACA), otherwise known as Obamacare. After retiring at age 66, I was covered by well-earned Medicare. My wife selected a COBRA plan for herself, paying premiums for her care and my Medicare deductibles. That arrangement worked well from 2010-2013. For 2014, our premium jumped 300 percent, and our deductible went from $250 to $1,500 per person, plus co-pays and drug coverage rose. We were buying a lot less coverage for a lot more money.
We logged on to the ACA website in December. Like many Americans we could not get past the confusing computer program and gave up. We went to our accountant and he tried to help us without success. Still tired of our high monthly premium for 2014, my wife logged on again near the end of January. This time it went smoothly. In a couple of hours, my wife was able to log in, find and compare several plans that met her requirements. She then chose to speak to a representative to finish the process. She was able to reduce our family premium by 40 percent, reduce deductibles, keep drug coverage and was able to add coverage for dental and eye, previously not available to her. She signed up for a plan with Select Health, a Utah company.
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 47
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 38
- Capitalism and the common good:... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 36