Utah father, son die from carbon monoxide while ice fishing
Sweetwater County Sheriff’s Office
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. — A father and his teenage son were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Monday in their ice fishing hut at Flaming Gorge.
Stansbury Park residents Steven McConnell, 58, and Matthew McConnell, 17, were found unresponsive in their fishing hut near the Flaming Gorge Big Firehole boat ramp about 9 a.m.
The father and son had gone to bed about 1 a.m., their ice fishing group told Sweetwater County sheriff's deputies. The group had planned to break camp and head home Monday morning.
Members of the fishing party did not have cellphone service at their fishing site and headed to the boat ramp, where they encountered a Rock Springs man. They drove to an area with cellphone service and alerted authorities.
Emergency responders were unable to resuscitate the McConnells, who were pronounced dead at the scene. A propane heater was located running inside the hut when officials arrived.
— McKenzie Romero
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12