Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MIDVALE — The mother of a baby girl and a toddler son, Brizya Rodriguez will soon move her small family into their own apartment.
But for now, The Road Home's community winter shelter is home. And her children, Victoria and Anthony Herrera, were among 83 kids who spent Monday night at the shelter with their families.
There were 50 other children — part of 24 families — at The Road Home's shelter in downtown Salt Lake City on Monday night.
Customarily, February is one of the busiest months between the two shelters. Recent warm temperatures have lowered head counts, but the number of families with babies is on the upswing. That means the available supply of diapers and infant formula is running low.
"There's good people here who just need a little help," Rodriguez said.
Claudia Palomeque, who moved into the overflow shelter with her 11-year-old son in early January, said there appears to be "a lot more babies" at the present time.
"They do need a lot more diapers and formula," she said.
Matthew Minkevitch, executive director of The Road Home, said the shelter experiences fluctuations in demand patterns.
"We don't predict who will come our way. We know we're going to have families in need. We have no idea if they're going to be bringing teenagers or newborns," he said.
Presently, the shelters are serving numerous families with babies. Playpens, portable cribs and strollers are scattered throughout the shelter.
"That could change in the next few weeks, but right now we have a lot of kids in diapers," Minkevitch said.
Last year, the community winter shelter served 356 families, including 724 children. The seasonal shelter is scheduled to close in early April, Minkevitch said.
Donations of formula and all sizes of diapers can be accepted during business hours at the overflow shelter, 529 W. 7300 South. Donations also can dropped off at the main shelter, 210 S. Rio Grande St., Salt Lake City.
Contributions also can be made online at www.theroadhome.org/give.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Police: Intruder attacks homeowner with...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 32
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 7