PARK CITY — Police were looking Tuesday for at least two people involved in an early morning jewelry theft from Park City's Main Street.
About 4:15 a.m., two people wearing masks, gloves and black hoodies used a wrench to break the glass doors at Baranof Jewelers, 523 Main Street, said Park City Police Capt. Rick Ryan.
Surveillance video shows the two went inside the store and used a wrench and another tool to break two glass display cases that were covered.
"They went specially after two display cases and they didn't bother any of the others," Ryan said.
The burglars took an undisclosed number of rings, necklaces and earrings, he said.
In addition to surveillance video, a witness observed the suspects leaving the store and called 911 as he followed them, Ryan said. On Kearns Boulevard, Park City police officers spotted the vehicle and a chase ensued, which reached speeds of 90 mph.
The fleeing suspects appeared as though they wanted to get onto U.S. 40, but were going too fast to make the turn to the on-ramp, Ryan said. They continued on into Kamas, where right before they entered the city, Summit County sheriff's deputies were able to successfully spike the fleeing vehicle's tires, he said.
The vehicle was still able to go into the city at about 65 mph. Pursuing officers temporarily lost sight of the vehicle, and when they found it, it was abandoned in an empty lot on Center Street, Ryan said. Both the driver and passenger doors were still open and the engine was running.
Inside the vehicle, police recovered a couple of rings. "There were a few pieces (of jewelry), not much," Ryan said.
Detectives also found a wallet. They were working Tuesday to determine whether the wallet was stolen or if the identification found inside really belonged to one of the burglars.
The car was registered to a woman in Taylorsville, Ryan said. Investigators were also working on determining whether the woman had any ties to the case, whether her car was stolen or if she loaned it to anyone.
Police were still trying Tuesday to determine exactly how much jewelry was stolen.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 29
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13